Is soccer here to stay? Mandeep Gill says yes

By Mandeep Gill

Why is there so much turmoil surrounding soccer’s future in Utah? Perhaps the proposed stadium? The team’s record, maybe? Or is it the state’s bandwagon tendencies?

Soccer’s future in this country, and more specifically in Utah, is solidified in its exponential league-wide growth.

Think about it in these terms. The Los Angeles Galaxy has generated a profit the past few years and has signed arguably soccer’s biggest superstar, David Bekham. Major League Soccer is planning on having 16 teams by 2010. There are already soccer-specific stadiums for Dallas, Chicago, Columbus and Los Angeles, and there are soccer-specific stadiums going up for Colorado, Toronto, New York and “maybe” someday here for RSL, as well.

MLS and its ability to put teams in their own stadiums give the league the opportunity to be financially successful. Still, many people are sure the league is doomed.

These soccer skeptics fail to realize the time it takes to build a financially stable professional sports league. Although many of the teams have operated in the red since their inception, most have experienced growth on a year-to-year basis.

MLS recently signed its first-ever TV rights deal, which is estimated to be worth $20 million. Soccer in the United States also provides a unique advantage compared with other worldwide leagues. MLS uses a salary cap that helps construction of a competitive league, while major franchises in Europe largely monopolize talent with their cash flow.

Locally, there is mixed opinion regarding soccer. Some individuals are furious about tax dollars possibly being used for soccer. Others welcome the growth of our city and our sports scene.

Consider the fact that soccer is the most played youth sport in Utah and the entire nation. Youth soccer was non-existent in previous generations. However, our future generations are raised on a sport that is known as the “true” football worldwide.

Those who close the door on soccer close the door on future generations. They also reject a truly profitable investment in our economy and our youth.

The world gets it. Other U.S. cities get it. When will Utah?

Just because Real Salt Lake is not winning does not mean the team isn’t worthwhile. Like many professional franchises, the team is struggling in its early stages. If the community had given up on the Utah Jazz in the early ’80s, Utah would be missing a component that has become part of the community’s social fabric.

If Real Salt Lake were winning games and playing for a championship each year, this would not even be an issue. The fact is Utah’s bandwagon tendencies are getting in the way of the development of an opportunity for growth in our community, our economy and our youth. Why should we turn our backs on soccer when soccer has so much to offer?

< ahref="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]