Black student adviser resigns

By Clayton Norlen

Simone Fritz, academic program coordinator for the Center for Ethnic Student Affairs, resigned from her position after 14 years at the U.

Fritz began working on campus in 1993 as a program manager for the educational opportunities program in Student Support Services, providing assistance to first-generation students and those with low incomes.

In 2001, Fritz began working for CESA as an academic program coordinator and advisor to black students.

The students Fritz advised have vivid memories of her, describing her as a maternal figure.

“I walked into Simone’s office as a freshman and I’d never seen so much energy,” said Sam Magadla, a sophomore in ethnic studies. “She’s helped me through the good times and the bad. I thought of her as a mom on campus. She took students under her wing and helped them to succeed.”

Fritz said her most rewarding experience on campus was being a part of the exploration, as she helped students discover what they were interested in.

“When I first came to this university, I was young, skinny, had black hair and didn’t need reading glasses,” Fritz said. “Now, I have a few curves, dye my hair and own glasses.”

But her resignation did not come without controversy.

Some group members say it was Fritz’s tendency to be too controlling of the Black Student Union that led some of its members to push for her resignation.

A dispute over $1,900 that had been entrusted to Fritz by Aaron Wiley, a former president of the BSU, was a touchy issue last year. Members of the BSU said the money was placed into an administrative account without the consent of its members.

Sarah Potter, treasurer for the group, said that while not all of the members in the group were pushing for Fritz’s resignation, some felt she needed more training as an advisor.

CESA has not yet announced a replacement for Fritz.

The Center of Ethnic Student Affairs’ Academic program director, Simone Fritz, resigned