The Beat: Local happenings from July 5 to 11

By Makena Walsh

THURSDAY, JULY 5

Del the Funky Homosapien$159 p.m.Urban Lounge (241 S. 500 East)

At some point in hip-hop history, emcees began to spit the maxim that fellow artists must innovate to ensure their existence — though most emcees fail to see the irony of preaching this wisdom without practicing it.

Every Rhymesayer-hopeful with a MySpace page and a condenser mic can pump out prosaic emulations of the Wu Tang Clan, but with each worn attempt at artistry, preaching originality is substituted for possessing it.

This isn’t the case for veteran indie-rapper Del the Funky Homosapien. Instead of merely advertising originality, Del has delivered on his promises since his 1991 debut.

Del is set to keep his promises, preaching the roots of hip-hop to the MySpace generation tonight at the Urban Lounge.

SATURDAY, JULY 7

Pepper$25.2511 a.m.Utah State Fairpark (Vans Warped Tour)(155 N. 1000 West)

Though Pepper began playing its island sound with the prospect of picking up surfer girls at the local bar, its distinctive fusion of rock, reggae, pop and hip-hop was good enough to land it a spot on counter-culture creators’ Volcom Records.

Four feel-good summer albums later, these Kona boys are still soundtracking (and chicken-hawking) your local watering hole: one of two reasons to brave the arid landscape of uncultivated humanity known as the Vans Warped Tour.

K-OS $25.2511 a.m.Utah State Fairpark (Vans Warped Tour)(155 N. 1000 West)

While weathering the cloud of palpable anticipation surrounding Michael Jackson’s impending comeback album, sate your insatiable thirst for the King of Pop with the next best thing: Canadian emcee of Trinidadian descent, K-OS.

This singer/producer/emcee soulfully pulls his eclectic combination of rock, funk, reggae and hip-hop from a genuine place, producing Wyclef Jean-like pop songs that’ll force you to sing along.

TUESDAY, JULY 10

Cherem$77 p.m.The Vortex(265 W. 1300 South)

It may be difficult to decipher the socially conscious lyrics screamed by Cherem singer Bill French, but rest assured, the sentiments are there and as biting as the band’s bowel-trembling wall of metallic hardcore.

Cherem is a vegan, straightedge, hardcore band of the utmost caliber and is as politically conscious as it is fun to dance to. With Salt Lake’s vibrant hardcore scene, Cherem is a great representative of what our city has to offer.

Just remember: no tomfoolery, and practice good pit etiquette.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 11

Cavedoll FREE7 p.m.Gallivan Center (X96 4 Play Concert Series)(239 S. Main Street)

Cavedoll is Salt Lake City’s version of that oft-noted “Cure meets Smashing Pumpkins” paradigm — an alternative rock group whose music is laden with catchy, melodious hooks.

The brainchild of Salt Lake local Camden Chamberlain, Cavedoll is accessibly sinister. Though its lyrics are suitable for the whole family, Cavedoll thrives in its dark undertones. Not since Robert Smith crooned “Lullaby” has a song felt as eerily at peace as the Doll’s “Rhondel” — a disquieting, soothing bedtime story to quell childhood fears of death.

Catch Cavedoll for free at the Gallivan Center before you have to pay sixty dollars to see them at USANA.

Del the Funky Homosapien

Cherem