Summer visitors

By Hillary Holbrook

Thousands of kids, teens and adults from across the nation come to the U every summer to learn how to dissect cows, edit movies and recover from alcoholism.

These are just a few of the topics that are part of the summer camps and weeklong seminars the U plays host to every summer.

Nate Friedman, U alumnus, coordinates Club U, a day camp for youth ages four to 17 that is sponsored by the U Continuing Education program.

“We like to show them Utah beyond their own backyard,” Friedman said.

The camp, which offers dozens of classes ranging from Zany Brainy Science to filmmaking, allows the participants to understand the importance of furthering their education, even from a young age.

Friedman said kids also pick electives to take part in, from “dissecting a cow heart to launching a piece of paper 300 feet in the air.”

Shannon Mohyuddin, conference sales manager for Chartwells Dining Services, said her job is more interesting in the summer because of the diverse groups that come to campus.

“You never know what you’re going to get,” Mohyuddin said.

She said she remembers one summer when Royal Marines from England paid a visit to campus to train at a higher altitude.

Mohyuddin said the experience gives guests a feel for what the campus is like.

“The U has great facilities and a great classroom atmosphere,” said Sue Langston, coordinator for the School on Alcoholism and Other Drug Dependencies.

The school, which ended its 56th annual session Friday, uses physicians, counselors and treatment programs to assist in recovery. More than 1,000 students from all over the nation learn how to cope with everything from alcoholism to overeating while earning college credit, Langston said.

“Hopefully most who come here are college bound, and can see what it’s like to experience college,” Mohyuddin said.