Grant to help American Indians

By Clayton Norlen

The U received two grants worth more than $500,000 earlier this month that will help recruit, train and graduate American Indian and Alaskan Native American students who want to become school teachers or administrators.

The two grants — the Four Corner States Aid to Teachers and the American Indian Teacher Training Program grant — were presented to the U by the U.S. Department of Education to increase representation of American Indian and Alaskan Native Americans in Utah’s public schools.

“These grants are given to provide more American Indian teachers and role models for students in classes,” said Lana Shaughnessy, Indian Education group leader in the U.S. Department of Education.

The Four Corner States Aid to Teacher grant, totaling $265,858, will provide distance learning, teacher training opportunities to students in the program, said Shaughnessy.

In addition, students who graduate with help from this grant will receive introduction services, mentoring and seminars from the U during their first year as either teachers or administrators.

The American Indian Teacher Training Program grant, totaling $296,856, will help teachers’ aids return to college to complete their bachelor’s degrees and become certified as teachers.

Both grants will provide all participating students with full tuition, book payments and room and board for four years, said Shaughnessy.

$19 million will be available over the next four years to six universities and institutions, including the U, that qualify under Title VII of the No Child Left Behind Act.