MWC breakdown: CSU

By Jon Gilbert

Key returner: RB Kyle Bell, senior

CSU’s running back plans to revive a measly rushing attack after injury erased his 2006 season. Bell rallied CSU to an appearance in the Poinsettia Bowl in 2005 after gaining more than 1,200 yards.

Key loss: Outside linebacking corps

The Rams will have to replace both Jon Radford and Luke Adkins at the outside linebacker position. The two combined for 137 tackles and four sacks. Replacing them will be a tough task for a rush defense ranked 80th nationally in 2006.

X-factor: Kyle Bell’s knee

When Kyle Bell went down last year with a season-ending knee injury, crickets were audible on the field. Head coach Sonny Lubick probably had to double check a depth chart to refresh his memory on who his second-string running back was.

Toughest game: California (Sept. 8)

Cal will leave CSU with its plate full and no utensils. The Rams hope their run defense is ready for Justin Forsett. Defense and special teams can never sleep with do-all DeSean Jackson threatening to break the sound barrier for six.

Cupcake game: Georgia Southern (Nov. 11)

Seriously? Division I-AA Southern Conference bottom feeder? This game could come in handy if the Rams need that sixth win for a bowl game berth.

Season Outlook:

CSU will stumble into a bowl game in 2007 or Lubick will feel his seat start to sizzle. Bell, quarterback Caleb Haine and game-breaking wide receiver Damon Morton will have the offense in much better shape. A previously swiss-cheese defense returns nine starters with nowhere to go but up.