Around the block

By Danny Letz

When it comes to the arts, Salt Lake City gets a bad rap. The assumption among outsiders remains that Salt Lake City is a second-tier fine-arts community.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

With more than 20 galleries in city limits — exhibiting art works ranging from classical to modern in all ranges of media — Salt Lake City boasts one of the largest per-capita fine arts communities in the Western United States.

Bolstered by the support of local businesses and patrons, Salt Lake City’s galleries offer a snapshot of art that caters to every taste. With so many galleries to select from, Redux is your guide to the basics: a listing of some, but not all, of Salt Lake City’s major galleries and events.

A Gallery

One of Salt Lake City’s largest and most respected galleries, A Gallery is home to a vast collection of rotating local and national artists that cover the entire spectrum of artistic media. The gallery size is expansive, facilitating a large collection of new and emerging artists almost unparalleled by any other private gallery in the area, which includes an eclectic sculpture garden.

Definitely a must-see for anyone interested in contemporary art and sculpture.

Utah Museum of Fine Arts

Located on the Business Loop on the south end of campus, the Utah Museum of Fine Arts is the University’s contribution to the Salt Lake fine-arts community. The only major general-art museum in Salt Lake City, the UMFA is a unique campus institution that exhibits a wide variety of works from both contemporary and classic artists.

In addition to its fine-arts presentations, the UMFA hosts classes, lectures, films and events that bring local citizens and the U’s student body some of the best art available in the entire state.

The Art Barn

Just around the corner from Presidents’ Circle is the home gallery of the Salt Lake City Arts Council — the Art Barn.

Located on the outskirts of Reservoir Park, the Art Barn is home to myriad works by local artists. The large, open rooms are also the scene of weekly poetry and fiction readings from both the University’s Master of Fine Arts in fiction/poetry writers, and a large array of nationally recognized authors and poets.

It’s one of the best local art spots, and one of the closest, too.

Rio Gallery

Housed inside the former Rio Grande Depot train station, the Rio Gallery is an expansive collection of works by both emerging and established Utah artists, that has the goal of informing and educating the public at large through the works on display.

With its location near the Gateway Mall, the common passerby often overlooks the Rio Gallery.

Don’t make this mistake. The Rio Gallery is one of three galleries sponsored by the Utah Arts Council, and is a local staple.

Help keep it that way.

Chase Home Museum of Utah Folk Arts

Hidden inside the vast expanse of open space inside Liberty Park, the Chase Museum of Folk Art is a cultural anomaly — a nationally unique gallery.

The only state-sponsored gallery of its kind, the Chase Home Museum displays a number of unique ethnic and culturally diverse works by local native and rural artists. With exhibitions ranging from typical art presentations to performance and dance works, the Chase Home Museum makes use of its relatively smaller space.

It is one of the most diverse culturally centered galleries in the area.

Gallery Stroll

A local staple, the Salt Lake City Gallery Stroll is a monthly event that brings together local artists, businesses, galleries and the public.

It’s an opportunity to meet and greet the artists (a majority of whom are on hand to discuss their works with the public) while browsing through some of the best works available in the city. The typical stroll incorporates more than a dozen local galleries, most of which are within walking distance of each other.

The Gallery Stroll remains a great, free way to spend the third Friday of the month.

Bobby Sakaki

The Utah Museum of Fine Arts displays numerous exhibits, bringing some of the best art in Utah to the campus.