Clubs reflect the U’s diversity

By Carlos Mayorga

Students on campus this fall may take advantage of the resources and diverse student clubs the U offers.The Center for Ethnic Student Affairs, located in Union Room 318, focuses on recruiting and retaining underrepresented and ethnic minority students at the U. A number of diverse student groups function under CESA. For more information, including meeting times and activities, contact CESA at 581-8151 or visit the CESA website.

Black Student Union

The BSU was formed in the 1970s and has since served as a resource for black students by hosting activities that are of cultural and educational importance.

The group participates in high school recruitment efforts and also focuses on retention for African-American students, said Derrick Brown, president of BSU.

Brown said the BSU is growing and its objective is to ensure that its members have the resources to get them to graduation.

The group encourages its members to participate in campus politics and organizes social events that allow students to network with black faculty.

BSU will have its first meeting of the fall Friday, Aug. 24, at 1 p.m. in the CESA office. For more information, contact Derrick Brown at [email protected].

Inter Tribal Student Association

The Inter Tribal Student Association was formed in 1971 to provide a “social environment for American Indians,” said Anthony Shirley, adviser to the group.

In addition to social activities such as potluck dinners and fund raising, the group puts a large effort into community service, he said. Group members participate in recruitment efforts with high-school students and retaining those students once they reach college level.

The group will announce a regular meeting time in mid-September.

M.E.Ch.A

Movimiento Estudiantil Chicana/o de Aztlan is a national organization focused on community service and social justice. The U chapter, formed in 1993, follows this same theme, said Valery Pozo, co-chair of the group.

M.E.Ch.A has since worked with the U on the Adelante project, works regularly with high school recruitment and has lobbied against immigration legislation.

The group will hold its first meeting of the fall Aug. 24 at noon in the CESA Lounge. All are welcome, Pozo said. The group plans to meet once a week. For more information, visit: www.utah.edu/mecha.

Asian American Student Association

The AASA was formed in 1992 to unite “those interested in Asian American issues in campus and the community,” according to the group’s website.

The group participates in service activities, such as partnering with the Utah Food Bank and helping high schools students gain access to college. For more information on AASA, go to www.2.utah.edu/aasa/.

The Pacific Islander Student Association

PISA was created for Pacific Islander students to share their cultures and to empower themselves and others to strengthen communities, according to the CESA website.

The group participates in high school recruitment and service projects, said Fred Matagi, adviser to the group. PISA also sponsors campus dances and plans to organize another concert after they successfully co-sponsored a campus concert last year, which featured music from New Zealand, Matagi said.

LGBT Resource Center

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center is located in the in Union Room 409. It works as a resource for LGBT students, faculty, staff and alumni. In addition to the resource center, a number of clubs serve the campus LGBT community.

Queer Student Union

The QSU, formerly known as LGSU, was formed in 1974 as the Gay Student Union.

The group is open to all queer students, staff and faculty and their straight allies.

Activities in previous years have included art projects, ballroom dancing and bowling. The group also does regular service projects.

QSU meets Monday at 7:30 p.m., but a location has not yet been decided. For more information, e-mail QSU at [email protected].

Queer Students of Color

Queer Students of Color is a new group at the U “open to all members of the community with an active interest in social justice,” according to a statement by the LGBT Resource Center. QSoC has yet to announce a time and place for meetings, but the group has set up an e-mail for anyone seeking information: [email protected].

UsWerve

UsWerve is a campus-wide group formed from the statewide group UsWerve. According to UsWerve’s website, it is “a non-profit, organizing resource for lesbian-focused social and civic activity in Utah.” UsWerve “provides a positive space for women to come together,” according to the LGBT Resource Center. For more information, e-mail UsWerve at [email protected].

Lennie Mahler

A group of U Queer Student Union members and their friends hang out at the club’s tent at the Utah Pride Festival on June 3 in Washington Square.