Exercise, but not in the heat

By Pamela Talledo

Taking classes, working and studying can become very stressful. Exercise is one of the best ways to get rid of stress and feel good. Unfortunately, the main outlet for student exercise — the Field House — is inadequately cooled, so students need to take care to guard against heat exhaustion and stroke.

The U’s Campus Recreation Services has much to offer in that respect: both outdoor and indoor activities, various recreation classes ranging from cycling to rock climbing and the Field House.

The Field House is a great place to work out, relieve stress and relax. It is very accessible to students and is located close to a TRAX station and various bus stops. It is perfect to work out there before, after or even between classes.

The Field House has various cardio machines, weights, a dance studio, a 200-meter track, squash and racquetball courts, a ping-pong court, a basketball/soccer court and two tennis courts. However, it needs an update.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Field House to work out after class and was very uncomfortable. I had been there less than 10 minutes and was already sweating. At the end of my work out I felt dehydrated and extremely hot.

The Field House is not adequately cooled during the summer months. This has been a recurring problem for the Field House and the reason behind many student complaints.

Although the Field House doors are kept open and there are fans inside, the hot air does not seem to leave the building.

As one works out the body temperature goes up very quickly, and it can go up even more if the air temperature remains hot.

At this point, heat-related illnesses become a risk.

Symptoms for heat-related illnesses include dizziness, weakness, muscle cramps, headaches and a rapid heartbeat. The best thing to do if you experience any of these symptoms is to stop working out, drink plenty of water and cool down.

Most gyms have air conditioning and keep the air temperature at an average of 65 degrees, which is not the case in the Field House.

Of course, one positive aspect of the Field House is that it is free and offers most of the benefits other membership gyms do. Furthermore, it is easily accessible to students.

My advice: Be careful with the heat, drink plenty of water, wear adequate summer work-out clothes and if you feel any of the heat-illness symptoms, stop working out and cool down!

Phil Cannon

TalledoEditorial.jpg