Writing Center helps students organize and present projects

By Clayton Norlen

From start to finish on research projects, term papers or haiku poems, tutors are available to help U students become better writers.

Online, over the phone or in person, students can schedule a 30-minute session with tutors from the Writing Center (located on the second floor of the Marriott Library). Tutors can help brainstorm topics, find and use research tools and help students incorporate and accurately document sources.

“We want to make you a better writer, not necessarily get you a better grade,” said Philip Lockette, a tutor at the Writing Center. “But if you do get a better grade, that’s great, too.”

Lockette stressed that the Writing Center isn’t meant to proofread and edit students’ papers. Tutors prefer to instruct students in how to fine-tune papers themselves. The center focuses on helping students research and organize content for their papers.

For graduate and senior students working on dissertations, the Writing Center has contact lists of professional editors and proofreaders.

“Every student, at every level, in every field can improve their writing,” said Daniel Emery, an assistant professor in communication and writing and director of the Writing Center. “Improving their writing will help students in their academic, professional and personal lives even when they move beyond the university.”

According to Emery, the center helps students from more than 95 different majors. Appointments for Fall Semester are still available.

< ahref="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]

Lennie Mahler

Susan Catlin and Philip Lockett work on a paper for Catlin’s WRTG 3400 class at the Writing Center on the second floor of the Marriott Library. Tutors at the center are available for 30-minute appointments to help students improve their writing skills.