Standout tackle Boone out for season

By Cody Brunner

It’s only been a week and a half since the U football team started their fall practices and it has already been dealt a huge blow. Senior offensive tackle Jason Boone tore the ACL in his left leg on Thursday, sidelining him for the remainder of the season.

The Utes will appeal the NCAA to try to get a medical redshirt for this season, but since Boone has already used a redshirt during his freshman season, it is unlikely they will grant him another.

“It’s just a horrible situation,” said Utah quarterback Brian Johnson.”You won’t find a harder working guy than Jason Boone and you won’t find a guy that cares more about this football team than Jason Boone. With me having my injury, I know how he feels. But I got a chance to come back.”

Boone injured the ligament during a routine blocking drill on Thursday.

“We were doing a three-quarter speed drill and he took a pass set just like he’s done probably 3000 times here at Utah and he just planted wrong,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. “It’s a tragedy, but we’ve got to move forward.”

Moving forward without the aid of Boone may prove to be difficult. The senior had been chosen to numerous Preseason All-Mountain West Conference teams and was the most experienced of the returning linemen.

Hoping to earn a starting spot in Boone’s stead this season will be junior Corey Seiuli and freshman Walter Watts. Seiuli practiced with the first team during a scrimmage on Friday, but the depth chart is uncertain.

“For (Boone) to go down like that was devastating,” Seiuli said. “I’m going to do the best I can to fit that role and step up.”

Hoping to mitigate the lack of depth at offensive tackle, the Utes moved Sophomore Zeke Tuinei-Wily over from the defensive line.

Utah Athletics

Senior Jason Boone may have had his football career prematurely ended with an ACL injury