Field House goes techno

By Lindsey Herman

In an effort to increase student traffic, Campus Recreation administrators have installed flat screen TVs in the cardio area of the Field House.

The four 52-inch TV sets are part of the improvements administrators added to provide students with better services.

Administrators hope the flat screen TVs will offer students a service many off-campus gyms have been providing for years.

“It was a smart move to install TVs in the Field House,” said Alicia Sparks, a senior in communication. “I like to listen to my iPod or have something to distract me while I work out, and I see a lot of people doing the same thing at the (other) gym(s).”

Administrators also hope the new technology will attract students despite the high temperatures that have prompted complaints to Field House employees.

Sparks said she often uses the cardio machines and weights at the Field House but has stopped going because the temperature in the building reached the mid-90s during the summer.

“Hopefully the flat screens will compensate for how hot it gets upstairs,” said Cheri Jenkins, associate director of Campus Recreation.

Jenkins said attendance increases each year as improvements are added to the building, its equipment and the fitness programs.

“A few years ago a weight room and equipment were added, which boosted Field House attendance significantly,” Jenkins said.

But cooling down the building is a different situation.

“It would cost millions to put air conditioning in a building so old,” Jenkins said. “It’s a historical site, so we can’t put anything on the outside of the building.”

Administrators have considered other options.

Last year, the Associated Students of the University of Utah worked with Campus Recreation to provide students with free child care using the U’s recreation services.

“It’s the collaboration between the Child Care Coordinating Office and Campus Recreation that provides such a great service to our students,” said Kris Hale, director of the Child Care Coordinating Office.

This school year, free child care will be available to students on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the ASUU Child Care Center in Presidents’ Circle.

Last spring, the Utah State Legislature approved the U to take a $40 million bond to build a new Student Life Center. U administrators now need to find donors to fund the remaining $15 million needed for construction of the new building. Until then, Campus Recreation staff members said they are doing what they can to improve the facility.

Audio of material on the screens will not be played aloud in the cardio area so others will not be distracted.Attendants will need to bring their own headsets or buy them at the Field House for $4 to $6.

l.herman@

chronicle.utah.edu

Lennie Mahler

The Einar Nielsen Field House recently installed four plasma TVs to its cardio area, which will be in operation starting today.