Can work hurt GPA?

By Parker Williams

The rising costs of tuition and textbooks are forcing many students to find employment during the school year.

And although work seems to be a necessity for many, administrators encourage students to use discretion when deciding how many hours they work per week.

Stan Inman, director of Career Services at the U, recommends students work no more than 10 to 15 hours per week, especially freshman who are unfamiliar with the demands of college.

“Employers tell us that when students graduate, if they don’t have experiences that are meaningful and relevant, they’re not a good candidate,” Inman said. “They will also tell us that students with a low GPA are not as attractive a candidate either — it’s kind of a catch-22.”

Although most students are aware that working too much might cause their grades to slip, many have no choice but to work long hours in order to afford tuition.

Such is the case with Zach Barrett. The senior economics major is taking a full course load in addition to working about 30 hours per week as a house painter. Barrett said he wouldn’t be able to afford school if he didn’t work as much as he does.

“It’s hard because usually I have to be at work, but I don’t necessarily have to be in class,” he said.

A 2002 study conducted by the California Branch of the Federation of State Public Interest Research Groups shows the negative impact employment can have on students’ grades.

The study, entitled, “At what cost? The price that working students pay for a college education,” indicated that 74 percent of full-time college students work during the school year, the majority of them working to meet college expenses. The study also said 70 percent of full-time students who work more than 25 hours per week could not afford college otherwise.

Both students who work full-time jobs and those who work part-time jobs reported that work hampered their academic performance. As students work longer weeks, the percentage experiencing a negative impact on their grades increases. Forty-six percent of students working more than 35 hours per week reported that work had a negative impact on their grades and 22 percent of students working less than 25 hours per week said it hurt their grades.

Students interested in finding flexible employment might consider attending the career fair on Wednesday, Aug. 29, in the Union Ballroom. Employers attending will cater specifically to students and understand the need for flexibility better than other employers, Inman said.

For more information on the career fair, log on to the Career Services website at www.careers.utah.edu.