Say hello to the newest BCS conference

By Cody Brunner

If you’re a fan of college football, you’re probably bothered by the state of things right now. Lee Corso is still allowed to speak, USC is permanently No. 1 in every poll and it is almost impossible for a non-BCS team to make it to a good bowl.

Last season, Boise State pulled a Utah and went undefeated throughout the regular season, but was denied entry to the National Championship because it wasn’t from a BCS conference. The determining factor was that Boise State didn’t play a tough enough schedule. Instead, the Broncos had to settle on the Fiesta Bowl, where they won my Coolest Game in the History of Mankind Award (sidenote: The award previously belonged to my high school football team after a thrilling come-from-behind victory over those bastards from Millard…don’t act like you don’t care).

The point I am trying to make is that everyone would have given the Broncos more respect if they had played a couple of teams that were worth a damn. (For the record, the Utes are worth a damn.)

Better yet, if a non-BCS school like Boise State or Utah were to play a solid opponent on a weekly basis and go undefeated, they would have a pretty good chance of making the National Championship game. But that can’t happen as long as Boise State is playing in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) and Utah in the MWC. To solve this problem I have brainstormed and decided they should form a new conference.

For the sake of originality, I’ve named it the Cody Brunner is the Coolest Conference, or more simply, the CBCC. Good teams from bad conferences around the West will be invited and they will accept the invitation because it’ll get them loads of national attention…and because they won’t have an option. With the teams I have assembled, I guarantee the BCS will start taking heed.

So, without further ado, here are the teams that are going to disband from their current conferences (if they have one) and join the CBCC.

1. Utah: The Utes were the original BCS buster during that magical 2004 season and have a rich tradition of success. They have great depth (especially on offense) and will be good for years to come.

2. Boise State: Many argued that the Broncos didn’t play anyone good last season, but those same people didn’t have too much to say after Boise State beat national powerhouse Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Also, they have the Smurf Turf and playing on that field once every other year is reason enough for the invite.

3. Houston: Some might not think of Houston as a dominant football school, but last season saw victories over Oklahoma State and Miami (the good one). In the Liberty Bowl, the Cougars went toe-to-toe with Steve Spurrier’s South Carolina Gamecocks and narrowly lost, 44-36.

4. TCU: The Horned Frogs breed athletes — particularly at defensive end and running back — and have been steadily improving since joining the MWC three years ago. They play a number of high-profile Big-12 teams on a yearly basis. This year: at Texas.

5. Hawaii: Any team that used to be called the Rainbow Warriors has a place in my conference. Seriously, Hawaii gets huge Pacific Islanders year after year and will always be decent. This season, quarterback Colt Brennan is set to break every passing record the NCAA has, plus any they will make up in the future.

6. Air Force: This is probably the only weak link in my conference, but I figured everybody would need a gimme. After all, the Big Ten has Indiana, the Big-12 has Baylor and the PAC-10 has Washington, Washington State, Arizona and Stanford.

7. Tulsa: Despite losing head coach Steve Kragthorpe to Louisville, the Golden Hurricane is always competitive in Conference-USA. The Utes duked it out with them during the Armed Forces Who-Gives-a-Rat’s-Ass-Bowl last year and narrowly escaped with a win.

8. Fresno State: The Bulldogs have never shied away from big-time opponents from the PAC-10 and would be a lovely fit in my new super conference. They get plenty of athletes from northern California and would consistently compete with the best of them.

9. BYU: Yes, I know I’m selling out by picking them, but it’s either them or somebody like Louisiana Tech.

10. Notre Dame: Reader: Cody, there’s no way the Fighting Irish would join the CBCC. Me: Why not? It’s basically the best thing ever. Reader: They’ve turned down every other conference in the country. Me: Yeah, but as commissioner, I would offer them something they couldn’t refuse. Reader: Like what? Me: Free hats? Reader: You’re an idiot, Cody. Me: Maybe…but I’m the Coolest idiot.