The Word: Chrony’s guide to the SLC music scene

By Makena Walsh

August 23

Portugal. The ManStudio 600 (26 E. 600 South)6 p.m.$10

Holy ruby rock socks! Portugal. The Man is the resurrection of The Grateful Dead in 2007, a rock-and-roll sance no doubt enacted during one of its Alaskan homeland’s month-long periods of darkness. Gourley’s high-pitched croon is almost as delightful as that of The Mars Volta’s wailer, Cedric Bixler-Zavala. That coupled with the three piece’s unique prog-rock roots and ability to attain the melodic sensibilities of The White Stripes makes it tough to choose among two other great shows this Thursday.

The Photo AtlasStudio 600

Bring your dancing shoes to this one kids — you’ll need them. The Photo Atlas’ post-punk aesthetics will have you jumping up and down to its frenetic, dance-floor beats. A Fugazi descendant, The Photo Atlas is part Interpol, sped up, with some of The Faint’s experimental electro accoutrements. Now if it could only get Travis from Gym Class Heroes to provide guest raps, the world’s indie-rock population would be caught in perpetual gyration.

WillowzUrban Lounge (241 S. 500 East)9 p.m.$10 A folk/rock/alternative band that slides easily into the convergent and comfortable place where these genre’s meet, Willowz makes sounding good look easy. “Evil Son,” from the band’s 2007 release, Chautaqua, begs for a Wes Anderson film to score, its epic low-key melodiousness accentuating perfectly the picture’s climactic montage. With imaginative song ideas and the vision to pull them off, this Thursday night’s plans are getting harder and harder to finalize.

CalexicoGallivan Center (239 S. Main Street)7 p.m. Free

Calexico’s use of Mexican horn, classical guitar and rattlesnake drums leaves little doubt as to the band’s geographical influences (as if the name wasn’t enough of a hint). If Sam Houston and Santa Anna had been able to put their egos aside for one minute and form an indie-rock band, Calexico would be the result — a folkish country hybrid with a distinctive Tejano slant.

This is the concert where you and your parent’s tastes meet, a band whose mellow temperament will appeal to an older generation while its Texan orchestra enthralls the young and open-minded indie rockers.

August 27

2MexUrban Lounge9 p.m.$7

Los Angeles is infamous for breeding especially tenacious emcees.

While proclaiming himself the hardest working man in the underground, evidenced by his standing as the most prolific member of hip-hop super group The Visionaries, rap dignitary 2Mex is not to be missed.

With a discography that reads like a lengthy novel, 2Mex creates delightfully engaging hip-hop again and again.

With wordsmithing so profound it doesn’t require accompaniment (Words, Knot Music) 2Mex will defend his living-legend status Monday night at Urban Lounge.