Professor given Mormon history award

By Clayton Norlen

Robert Goldberg, a professor in the history department in the College of Humanities, received the Thomas Kane Award from the Mormon History Association earlier this year for his defense of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and raising awareness of anti-Mormon sentiment on campus and outside of the state.

“(Goldberg) has been a defender of Mormonism at the U and has challenged the university community to become more aware of discrimination against the majority,” said Paul Reeve, a professor in the history department who nominated Goldberg for the award. “(Goldberg has) ensured the Mormons’ past is treated with respect and has encouraged further study into their history.”

The Thomas Kane Award was created by the association, which is not affiliated with the LDS Church, to recognize the work of individuals outside of the LDS Church who make a significant contribution to Mormon history. Thomas Kane was an advocate for the LDS Church who helped to secure a peaceful resolution to the tension between LDS President Brigham Young and the U.S. government in the 19th century. Kane, like Goldberg, was not a member of the LDS Church, but ensured that it was treated with fairness in the face of opposition.