Art professor

By Carlos Mayorga

Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, appointed Elizabeth Anne Peterson, chair of the department of art and art history, to the U.S. Senate Curatorial Advisory Board on Tuesday.

The 12-member board advises the Senate Commission on Art and assists with the acquisition, care, preservation and replication of art and historic objects within the U.S. Senate collection. Five senators serve on the commission, including Bennett.

“I am delighted to have a Utahn with such impeccable credentials to be part of this distinguished board,” Bennett said in a press release. “It is a tribute both to the University of Utah and the state that Dr. Peterson has been selected for this position.”

The board is composed of professionals from all over the nation, including museum curators, historians and experts in the arts from other universities.

“A local voice from here (Utah) is going to be a part of this larger, nationally known committee,” Peterson said.

The appointment is not a full-time obligation, so Peterson will remain in her position at the U. She has taught undergraduate and graduate classes in Greek, Roman and medieval art and architecture for 15 years. Peterson also studies manuscript illumination of 13th century France as part of her scholarly research.

Peterson also served as the director of the U art history program from 2001 to 2007. Curatorial Advisory board members serve two-year terms, but meet only twice a year. The first meeting will take place in October in Washington, D.C.