Activities: Exercise, but with scenery

By Jessica Dunn

Hikes are not just for the exercise. If that’s all you want to gain from them, go run on a treadmill instead.

Hiking is much more rewarding than that. Not only do you get the health benefits, but you get breathtaking views and beautiful scenery along with them.

Lake Blanche is one great example. Nestled in a high alpine basin, Lake Blanche and its two sister lakes, Florence and Lillian, provide the perfect resting spot for scenic-hungry hikers. Long, scarred rock and smooth, deep grooves on the red and orange stone surrounding the lake are visible evidence of its glacial history. On the south shore of Lake Blanche, the picturesque Sundial Peak rises abruptly and completes the postcard-worthy view.

Lake Blanche is one of the most popular hikes in Big Cottonwood Canyon, not only because of its beauty but for its accessiblity. The trailhead starts about one-quarter of a mile from the Mill B South Fork parking lot on the big “S” turn. A paved road follows the stream and then a sign marks the well-traveled Lake Blanche trail.

The path begins to climb immediately from the trailhead and continues at a steady, steep grade for the rest of the way. It’s definitely not a walk in the park, but almost anyone can make it with the right amount of water and resting.

The trail crosses Mill B South Fork and stays on the east side of the canyon for the rest of the hike. The sounds of the stream fade away as the trail continues up and through the quaking aspen trees to avoid the cliffs at the canyon head.

Frequent evidence of spring and winter avalanches can be seen around the canyon from the trail. In at least one area, a rockslide has wiped out a part of the trail. When you get to this point, simply climbing over the rocks will reveal the trail on the other side.

Near the top, hikers begin to see Sundial Peak rising above the pass. It’s a welcome sign that the hike is almost over because the trail begins to get steeper at this point. About 2.8 miles and roughly two to three hours from the bottom you’ll come to the red rocks polished by a glacier. Be sure to look around at the writings on the rocks. Some of them are almost 70 years old, according to their dates.

Lake Blanche is just beyond the alley of rocks. Hikers who make it to this point can enjoy the amazing views of the lake or look down at where they came from to see the canyon below and catch a glimpse of the Salt Lake Valley. Hikers can also hike around the lakes and under Sundial Peak. If feeling adventurous, check out Lake Florence and Lake Lillian — one can see them from the old dam at the west end of Blanche. The view of Sundial isn’t as good from the sister lakes, but they do provide more solitude if that’s what one is going for. There are also a few waterfalls around the lakes. Just listen for them and hike toward the stream.

Camping is allowed, but fires are prohibited in the area. The best spot to camp is on the south side of Lake Blanche where there’s more grass. You’ll have time to rest, enjoy the scenery and hike a little more.

Or you could stay on the treadmill.