Football front four looking to keep offenses in line

By Mandeep Gill

Depth at the defensive line is not a concern for the Utah coaching staff in 2007. Experience, however, is another story.

“The depth of the unit is the strength of the unit — particularly at the defensive end spots; we feel we have got five guys (who) can really play,” said head coach Kyle Wittingham. “Inside, we are very youthful and inexperienced. Gabe Long is a senior, but the guys behind him have virtually no experience.”

The U football team will return only two starters to the defensive line from last season: defensive end Martail Burnett and Long at tackle.

Burnett had a respectable season in 2006, leading the team with 5.5 sacks and 42 total tackles. At 6-3 and 262 lbs., his size helps him overpower opposing blockers. And although he is big, Burnett can still move. He is one of the Utes’ fastest defensive linemen. Originally recruited to play defensive back, Burnett has evolved into a solid interior defensive player. In 2007, his speed and his size should give opposing offenses fits up front, along with the rest of the Utes’ defensive front four.

Senior Gabe Long — a blue chip, five-star recruit out of Fullerton, Calif., who originally committed to USC — showed up at the U two weeks into the season last year. Just a few days after arriving on campus, Long played against Utah State and then saw action at tackle and defensive end in 10 games during 2006 and started in three of them. Long is confident in his and his counterparts’ abilities going into the 2007 season.

“Our biggest strength is our speed and our closeness as a unit; we are coming together as a family,” Long said.

Other starters for 2007 include senior defensive end Greg Newman and sophomore nose tackle Kenape Eliapo.

Newman saw limited action as a backup defensive end in all 13 games last season. The former walk-on has turned heads during fall camp and should anchor the right end position.

Eliapo played in 10 games last season and earned the start against Tulsa, Ariz., in the Armed Forces Bowl. He is one of the Utes’ biggest linemen at 6 feet and 303 lbs., giving him enough size to plug the middle.

Others who are likely to see significant action include junior defensive end Paul Kruger, junior tackle Aron Tonga, freshman nose tackle Lei Talamaivao and junior defensive end Koa Misi.

The U defensive line has the talent and depth to make noise in 2007; however, in order to make that noise a little louder, the defensive line must improve its sack total. Last season the defensive line only had 26 sacks total as a whole. The coaching staff is clear that bringing pressure with four linemen is key to the success of the defense.

“The sack total is something we need to improve as a defense,” Wittingham said. “The more effective pressure we can get bringing four, the easier everything else will be.”

An effective defensive line could relieve a lot of pressure off an equally youthful secondary. Creating pressure, getting to the quarterback and containing the running game are fundamental goals of the defensive line. Although the 2007 U defensive line might be inexperienced, the players possess the talent and skill to meet these fundamental goals and possibly even surpass them.

Christopher Peddecord

Martail Burnett assists in a sack in last year’s season-opener against Northern Arizona. Burnett is one of only two first-string defensive linemen returning to the team this season.