Activities: Homecoming 5K gives back

By Jessica Dunn

Do you love the sound of free money dropping into your pockets after a sweaty run around campus?

Get ready then, because the University of Utah Alumni Association is providing this opportunity with its 2007 Young Alumni Scholarship 5K.

The Alumni Association is giving away three $500 scholarships to individual student participants through a drawing and a $1,000 scholarship to the student group with the most runners.

Overall, first and second place for men and women receive awards, as do first through third place for each age division.

Awards are also given out to the person wearing the most red and the person showing the most school spirit.

The 5K run/walk/stroll is a tradition at the U and held the Saturday of homecoming week.

“(The 5K) is one of the premier homecoming events, aside from the football game,” said Brandon Riley, co-chair of the 5K.

Students, faculty, staff and Ute fans of all ages are welcome to participate and run (or walk) the newly certified course.

Participants this year will start at the Alumni House, go around the Union loop, past the golf course, down North Campus Drive, through the plaza in front of the Marriott Library, uphill past the HPER buildings to Wasatch Drive and then North Campus Drive to Central Campus Drive and back to the Alumni House.

Sound exhausting? Well, you’ll have head basketball coach Jim Boylen, gymnastics assistant coach Megan Marsden, Swoop, the cheerleaders and other Utah athletes to cheer you on at the finish line.

Along with the 5K, the Alumni Association is holding its first annual Kid’s 1K Run and Red Hot Silent Auction this year.

The Kids Run is for children 12 and under and each participant receives a T-shirt, medal and running bag.

The Red Hot Silent Auction will take place throughout the entire event. Auction items include, autographed apparel and other articles, season tickets, golf passes, RSL tickets, a birthday party with Swoop and much more.

All the money raised from the auction, registration fees and sponsor donations goes toward scholarships for continuing students, said Riley,

Even if you’re not the running type, go out to support and cheer the runners, hang out with Swoop and join in on the tradition.

The 5K will be held Sat., Sept. 29. Registration is from 7 a.m. to 8:15 a.m., and the race begins at 8:30 a.m. The Kids Run registration ends at 9:15 a.m., and the run will start at 9:30 a.m. Scholarships, awards and prizes will be given out at 10 a.m.

Pre-registration ends Tues., Sept. 25. The cost is $18 for students, $22 for staff members, $12 for the Kids Run and $25 for all others. Day of race walk-in is $28 for all adults and $15 for the Kids Run.

Register online or find out more at www.alumni.utah.edu/5krace.