Take five and go get some culture

By Danny Letz

Sat., Sept. 15

Music to Clean Your Ears Out: A Downtown Music Festival Fundraiser for Spy HopFree3:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.Gallivan Center (239 S. Main Street)

Eden’s Watchtower Records presents an all-day concert in support of Salt Lake City’s premier youth activity center, Spy Hop Productions, featuring performances from DulceSky, Calico, The Happies, The Numbs and more. The festivities will also include numerous vendors and belly-dancing by The Skirts.

Sat., Sept. 15

An Evening of Poetry and Jazz at Ken Sanders Rare BooksFree7 p.m.Ken Sanders Rare Books (268 S. 200 East)

Enjoy the poetry of Idaho wordsmith Martin Vest, as well as locals Andy Hoffmann and Sandy Anderson, while relaxing to the soothing sounds of Willis Clow’s soulful, jazz guitar and the horn work of the Chisholm Brothers on trumpet and trombone. Not only are these artists premier solo performers, but the addition of a revered rhythm section will see the reunion of the founders of the infamous Salt Lake Alternative Jazz Orchestra.

Mon., Sept. 17

Salt Lake Film Center presents: “The Great Gatsby”Free6 p.m.The Salt Lake City Public Library Auditorium (210 E. 400 South)

Watch Robert Redford and Mia Farrow, under the direction of Jack Clayton, bring F. Scott Fitzgerald’s masterpiece, The Great Gatsby, to life. Don’t miss this opportunity to see one of literature’s most excellent conversions to film back on the big screen.

Tues., Sept. 18

Jazz SLC presents: An Evening with Dave Brubeck$20 to $457 p.m.Abravanel Hall (123 W. South Temple)

Dave Brubeck is one of jazz piano’s most esteemed practitioners, as well as one of the genre’s most influential composers. This 130-minute performance will reveal exactly why Brubeck has received practically every single award, recognition and honor in the jazz world.

Wed., Sept. 19

Salt Lake Art Center and SLC Film Center present: “The Lives of Others” film screeningFree7 p.m.Salt Lake Art Center (20 S. West Temple)

This award-winning film follows a surveillance expert for the Stasi as he investigates the “Western leanings” of a noted playwright and his actress girlfriend in the socio-politically tense climate of 1984 East Germany. “The Lives of Others” has won seven awards from Deutscher Filmpreis, including Best Film and Best Director, and was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 64th Golden Globe Awards.