Utes reclaim stadium, season

By Natalie Dicou

After the Air Force loss — just when it seemed like the Utes’ football team was on the verge of unraveling — linebacker Joe Jiannoni told the press that the Utes could still go 10-2 and that they would find a way to beat UCLA.

The press conference went silent. Writers and broadcasters from every local media outlet choked back a collective guffaw as we all wondered if he really believed what he was saying.

Surely he couldn’t believe that there was light at the end of the tunnel. After all, not 30 minutes had passed since the Utes were stuffed one agonizing yard short of a touchdown in their final offensive play. Had that already slipped his mind? Had he forgotten that his team was decimated by a bizarre string of serious injuries?

Jiannoni knew his team wasn’t a lost cause. He wasn’t ready to declare the season a mulligan just yet.

And just as no one but Jiannoni predicted, the Utes destroyed the No. 11 team in the country in one of the most amazing victories in the history of Utes football, especially considering the dark place the Utes came from emotionally.

People across the nation saw Saturday’s game and were undoubtedly impressed. On paper, it was a huge upset.

But only those close to the program — the players, coaches, students and fans who have absorbed the devastating blows that blindsided the team — know how truly amazing the Utes’ victory was.

It’s always a shock when an underdog blows out a favorite, but for the Utes to pull it off with backups playing key positions is remarkable.

Oh, what a difference a week can make.

Last week, Tommy Grady was an understudy no one wanted to see. He was the college football equivalent of a seat-filler at the Oscars charged with the duty of taking up space while the star is in the bathroom.

On Saturday, the stand-in became the star.

Last week, Kyle Whittingham was a captain on his way down with the ship. Few doubted he was a superb defensive coordinator, but many wondered if he was capable of running the entire show.

Whittingham’s credibility came storming back with a vengeance on Saturday. As head coach, his task was to get his players to believe. He did that, and then some.

Whittingham’s “David versus Goliath” speech must have been inspiring. Earlier in the week, he said he was looking for heroes. The rest of us looked at his remaining guys and scratched our heads. Heroes?

It’s safe to say Whittingham found his heroes.

While Grady pulled off the most dramatic turnaround of the week, Andy Ludwig is trailing closely behind him.

Last week, Ludwig was public enemy No. 1 — the coach who couldn’t figure out a way to advance the ball one yard during the Utes’ final two offensive plays of the game.

This week, Ludwig was Stephen Hawking with a headset.

Last week, Rice-Eccles Stadium was a place of mourning. The visitors’ section was the most rocking place in the house. In a way, Air Force fans had claimed the stadium as their own.

This week, the visitors’ section was as it should be. As Utes fans across the aisle did the wave, UCLA fans held their arms folded firmly to their chests, their faces twisted in scowls.

A week ago, after the Air Force game, the Utes football team and the MUSS sang “Utah Man” as they always do. But they sang with blank faces. The pride was still there, but the tone of disappointment was audible in every word.

After the UCLA victory, the students belted out “Utah Man” with as much heart and bravado as it has ever been sung.

The MUSS stormed the field. Rice-Eccles Stadium has been reclaimed.

Lennie Mahler

Fans rush the field in celebration of the Utes’ 44-6 upset victory.