Muslims discuss view of evolution

By Tina Siu

Life is too complex to have been created by chance.

This was the overall idea Abdullah Yusuf Ali, a Muslim chemist, conveyed during a discussion and film presentation about the Islamic perspective on creationism, hosted by the Muslim Students Association of the University of Utah.

“Evolution is a very dogmatic thing,” Yusuf Ali said.

The group presented a film titled “The Collapse of Darwinism and the Fact of Creation,” which challenges Charles Darwin’s Theory of Evolution, on Aug. 13 as part of Islam Awareness Month.

The film was presented in three parts: “Origin of Life,” “Imaginary Mechanisms of Evolution,” and “Fossil Record.” The film showed holes in Darwin’s Theory of Evolution starting from the very beginnings of life on Earth and focused on the reasoning that life is too complex to be created by chance, which was also a common point during a discussion held after the video presentation.

Yusuf Ali gave examples of how the prophet Muhammad had predicted many events and facts that are widely held true today.

“If the Quran is so accurate in anatomy and astrology, what is so wrong with taking the idea of creationism from the Quran?” asked Yusuf Ali.

Mohanad Mossalam, a doctorate student in pharmaceuticals and the president of the group, said the presentation “show(ed) the theory of evolution is still just a theory.”

Sawaiba Khan, a senior majoring in history and English and editor for the group’s New Frontier magazine, said she learned a lot from attending the event.

“I am Muslim, so I learned where Islam stands in the theory of evolution,” Khan said.

Jumana Abu-Khalaf, a doctorate student in mechanical engineering, said she “doesn’t believe in evolution because (she doesn’t) see the scientific proof for it.”

In the discussion, Yusuf Ali posed many questions.

He said that “as a scientist, the more you know, the more you realize that you don’t know. Deep academic discussions regarding the creation of man are needed.”

For more information about upcoming events sponsored by the MSAUU visit www.msauu.com.

Teresa Getten

Abdullah Yusuf Ali, a Muslim chemist, speaks about creationism from the Islamic view at an event hosted by the Muslim Students Association of the University of Utah.