Life of Brian: Nearing a return

By Cody Brunner

Last time we saw Brian Johnson in action, he was going to work on the Oregon State defense. But a freak shoulder separation sidelined the dual-threat junior for three weeks. Now Johnson might be ready to clock back in.

While the Utah coaching staff has remained mum on whether or not Johnson will play tomorrow against the Rebels, the junior has made a concerted effort to prepare himself just in case. The Chronicle caught up with Johnson on Wednesday, hoping to get some insight on the shoulder and the quarterback situation.

The Chronicle: How’s the shoulder feeling?

Johnson: It’s feeling good. They started me out slow on Monday and each day I take more and more reps. It’s good to get back out there, and I’m excited.

The Chronicle: So, where are you at? Can you give me a percentage?

Johnson: I don’t ever really think any college football player is ever at 100 percent on Wednesday, but I hope to be there by the game.

The Chronicle: I saw you out there throwing it, and it was the same Brian Johnson I’m used to watching, but what’s it like for you? Can you throw the deep ball yet?

Johnson: Yeah. I threw the deep ball early in practice today and it felt really good. It was awesome for me to come out here and do that because now I have confidence in it, to make that throw in a game time situation.

The Chronicle: Basically, your entire coaching staff has given me the run around to this point, but I wanted to ask you whether you thought you would play against UNLV?

Johnson: I hope so. I really hope so, but it’s kind of not my decision. Part of it is, but we’ve just got to keep evaluating and keep seeing where I’m at on a daily basis. But, if I keep progressing at this pace, I’m confident I’ll be ready.

The Chronicle: Coach Whit has said that with Tommy (Grady) playing as well as he did against UCLA, it allows them to be much more conservative in bringing you back. What are your thoughts on that?

Johnson: I completely agree. With this type of injury, the longer you have to rest and the longer you have to take care of it, the less chance you’ll have of re-injuring it. Obviously, when we’re playing as well as we did against UCLA, it does give us the ability to rest my arm and make it one week stronger.

The Chronicle: So, obviously you want to be out there Saturday, but if not then, when’s the latest date we can expect you to return?

Johnson: Against Utah State the following week.

The Chronicle: I also wanted to ask you what you thought about Donovan McNabb’s comments that black quarterbacks are more readily criticized in the media than, say, a Peyton Manning or a Carson Palmer.

Johnson: I can see where he’s coming from with that, but at the same time, he’s in a position where he doesn’t have the guys around him that a Peyton Manning or a Carson Palmer has. So, I think a lot more is put on Donovan McNabb’s shoulders than those other guys. Those guys are great quarterbacks, but Donovan doesn’t have Pro Bowl wide receivers like they do. But you can’t take anything from any of those guys because they are all great quarterbacks.

The Chronicle: Don’t you think a lot of it has to do with the Philadelphia media too?

Johnson: Yeah, definitely. They’ll love you one minute and turn their backs the next. If the Eagles were 2-0, this probably wouldn’t have ever come up. They would boo Santa Claus. I mean, come on man, they’re rough.

The Chronicle: So, looking forward to UNLV, who stands out to you on its defense?

Johnson: Definitely Beau Bell. He’s just a flat-out player. I had a chance to meet him during the conference media day in Las Vegas, and he’s an awesome guy. He’s a very talented player, and I’m looking forward to playing against him on Saturday.

The Chronicle: Coming off such a big win over a nationally ranked team like UCLA, how do you guys avoid a letdown against a less-talented team in UNLV?

Johnson: That goes directly to the leadership. If we want to do what we know we are capable of, then we can’t let anyone slack off. We’ve got to make sure we have the same focus, energy and execution level that we had at Rice-Eccles on Saturday.