Walking on and standing out

By Mandeep Gill

Much has been made of the talent Utah possesses at the wide receiver position. Ute fans can thank Derrek Richards’ hard-working mentality for that.

After a stellar senior season at American Fork High in which Richards caught 12 touchdown passes for the football team and set school records in the 100 meter dash for the track team, Richards was left with a lot of high school glory and little college hype.

“There was no interest in me,” Richards said. “I sent some tapes to Snow, Dixie and Utah State and they all wrote back and said that I could just walk on. I did not want to go down to those places for that.”

Without any college programs calling his number, Richards licked his wounds and decided to try to walk on at Utah.

“I was going to come to Utah anyways, so I sent a tape to coach Wittingham and he told me I could come walk on,” Richards said. “Growing up I was a Utah Fan. Just to get a chance to be on the football team was cool at the time.”

Richards used a redshirt in 2003 and saw limited action in Utah’s run to the BCS in 2004. As the daily grind of being a walk-on ensued, the receiver found how difficult being a member of the football team could be.

“It sucks,” Richards said. “I can remember calling my dad and my girlfriend at the time and telling them I want to quit.”

It’s a good thing Richards did not quit. After good showings in Utah’s spring and fall camps in 2005, Richards was awarded a scholarship.

“I busted my butt and got a scholarship,” Richards said. “It made me the hard worker I am today.”

The 2005 season gave Richards the medium to introduce himself to the Utah faithful. The speedy receiver played in all 12 games and started the last six, finishing with 16 catches, 239 yards and four touchdowns.

The beginning had come. However, last season was Richards’ real coming-out party. In 2006, Richards was the only receiver to start all 13 games. The then-junior led all Utah receivers with 60 catches for 717 yards and finished second on the team in touchdowns with six.

“It helped prove to everyone that I am a big-time receiver,” Richards said.

The one-time underdog went from being a high school afterthought to one of Utah’s biggest offensive weapons.

“His overall attitude to the game and his work ethic are hard to keep up with,” said Utah receiver Bradon Godfrey. “He makes plays when the ball is thrown to him.”

Against Air Force this season, Richards registered his first 100-yard receiving game, finishing with 109 yards on eight catches with one touchdown. The senior leader followed that by leading the team in receiving yards last week against UCLA.

Richards has gone from the bottom to the top. Now known as one of the Utes’ go-to guys, the senior is not taking his success for granted.

“There are a lot of people in this world that wish they could be playing football,” Richards said. “I just take it as a blessing everyday.”

Lennie Mahler

Derrek Richards, once a walk-on who saw little to no play time, is now one of the Utes’ main receivers.