Democratic doublespeak and the Spanish proverb

By Steve Coons

In her efforts to win over moderate voters, Hillary Clinton has transformed herself into a conservative.

Looking over her issues at hillaryclinton.com, I saw a cautious woman attempting to avoid taking a stand on any one issue.

She presents herself as an advocate for change, but without explaining just what this change will be. She who does not intend to pay is not troubled in making her bargain, and Hillary hasn’t troubled much with her bargain, though the presentation is immaculately appealing to Iowans.

But Hillary should remember that if you make yourself into honey the flies will devour you. And that honey is not for the ass’s mouth, and what is a Democrat but a donkey, and a donkey but an ass? Let Martha die, but die with her belly full, I say, and not with a belly full of platitudes, either.

“Whether it was Romania under a dictatorship saying you had to have children for the good of the state or China saying you had to have only one child for the good of the state, governments have dictated the most private and important decisions that we as individuals or families can make.” Here hillaryclinton.com takes a stand with her condemnation of Romanian dictatorships.

In other news, Clinton is delighted that women have been granted the right to vote, would never have set Joan of Arc upon the pyre and always frowns when she hears the word molestation.

One begins to wonder when Clinton will finally take her stand, for there are no birds in last year’s nest and the danger is generally in the delay.

“When Hillary is in the White House, no American will be invisible to the President of the United States,” but if she keeps this up the President of the United States might be invisible to most Americans.

Hillary can’t win as a moderate because madness must necessarily have more followers than discretion, and a woman preaching discretion while sitting between Republicans mad for the status quo and Democrats mad for change seemingly has no chance.

Her closest competitors, meanwhile, would do well to observe that there is a great difference between said and done, and “Get out of my house!” and “What do you want with my wife?”

There is no answer, when they proclaim an end to big business handouts. Of course they seem to advocate subsidies for union-friendly Detroit, but this has to be accepted because a bird in the hand is better than an eagle on the wing, and some type of compromise with Detroit is the only path to a solution to the energy crisis.

If, however, they merely treat the situation semantically and switch out tax breaks for subsidies and subsidies for tax breaks they should keep in mind that he who covers thee discovers thee, and often in the middle of a congressional hearing. And the American people won’t worry whether it was the pitcher that struck the stone or the stone the pitcher.

They have, however, already taken a stand and in this manner of government.

Everything depends upon the beginning, something that Clinton would do well to remember. And, after all, if they haven’t gone as far as some would have liked, we should realize that we may lose as well by a card too much as by a card too little and we cannot always have the cat to the rack, the rat to the rope and the rope to the stick. For there is no road so level as to have no rough places, and you cannot catch trout with dry breeches.

But again, while the ox that is loose licks itself best, he who leans against a fine tree is covered with a good shade.

So come along that I might lick my fingers, for even if they fail, another cock will crow for you, and he who falls today may rise tomorrow. Naked I was born, naked I am, I neither gain nor lose. It’s true that when the head aches all the members feel it, but the corpse of the pope takes no more ground than that of the sacristan.

Anyway, I won’t bother you about this anymore for no discourse that is long can be pleasing, and to keep silence well is called Sancho.