Healthy U: Chartwells cuts trans fats

By Constance Yonashiro

The next time you grab a snack or meal from a cafeteria on campus, it will likely be trans-fat free.

Chartwells, the U’s contracted food provider, has removed trans fats from its food as part of a campaign to promote healthier eating for students. The company is also using fresh locally grown produce in many of its dishes.

“We want to give the students healthier options for food,” said Marco Velasquez, director of retail operations at Chartwells.

Signs posted near the cashiers advertise trans fat-free cookies, and Chartwells employees said the brownies now have fewer preservatives.

“I haven’t seen a huge response from students,” said Nicole Flynn, a cashier at the Union Food Court. “Treats are treats, and most people aren’t prejudiced against the cookies they choose to eat.”

However, when students notice the changes, the response is usually positive, Flynn said.

“I think it’s a good idea to have those healthier food options for students,” said Sierra Nielson, a sophomore in English. “It just makes it easier to be aware of what you’re eating, even when you’re having a craving for something like a cookie.”

Last year, the Food and Drug Administration required that trans fats be included on food labels because of evidence that trans fats contribute significantly high to high cholesterol levels, which can clog arteries and cause heart attacks.

Trans fats are unsaturated fats that have been hydrogenated to become more saturated. They are often used in baking because the fats increase the shelf life of cookies.

Although the cookies in the Union Food Court are trans-fat free, they do not carry nutritional fact labels.

“We are definitely in the process of getting more information on them for the labels,” said Reggie Conerly, resident district manager for Chartwells. “The information is available, and most of the research is done. We just have to get it from the manufacturers.”

“If you take out trans fats and just replace it with regular fats, it doesn’t mean the food is healthier,” said Kathie Beals, the U’s nutrition clinic director and a professor. “It still has fat and still has a number of calories.”

Especially for people who are watching their weight, the calories are still there if the trans fats are replaced by another type of fat, she said.

In the Heritage Commons, where many students living in the dorms have meal plans, Chartwells aims to keep in touch with students, especially those who abstain from eating certain foods, Conerly said.

“For students, there are a fair amount of vegetarians and vegans, and we try to work with their requests,” he said.

Indian food, once in place to give more vegetarian options, will soon be replaced by Greek food for more variety, Conerly said.

“Sometimes you overhear students say there’s nothing to eat at the Heritage Commons, but I think it’s because they are presented with too many choices, so they’re like deer caught in headlights,” Beals said.

If the student wants to choose healthier foods at the Heritage Commons, they have that option, she said.

“They absolutely try to work with the students,” Beals said. “In terms of management, in past years, I know the cook was very much into healthy cooking, vegetarian options, special requests and he even catered to special diets.”

For some students, the decision to eat healthier is another choice they have to make in their busy lives.

“Eating cheaper is probably more important than eating healthy to most students,” said Michelle Sullivan, a senior in exercise and sport science. However, having healthier options on campus would probably help students make better choices at their convenience, she said.

“If people just eat right the majority of the time and get a decent amount of exercise, they probably won’t have too many health problems in the future,” Sullivan said.

Teresa Getten

Anna Tamauta prepares made-to-order sandwiches at the deli bar in Herritage Commons. The Herritage Commons offers a wide variety of healthy food choices including vegetarian and vegan options.