Despite absense of one-two combo, Utes win big

By Natalie Dicou

The U women’s soccer team was injected with a healthy dose of confidence after shutting out Utah Valley State in a 6-0 rout Wednesday.

The lopsided score alone is impressive. When you consider the absence of the Utes? two stars — Adele Letro and Kelly Isleib, both sidelined by minor injuries — the victory is impressive.

“We played very well for long stretches and we started off very strong,” coach Rich Manning said. “A lot of people played and contributed, so it was an all-around good day.”

Earlier this week, after scoring three goals in two matches, Letro — who averages 1.2 goals a match for the Utes — jumped from the fifth spot to the third spot in the national scoring rankings.

Letro suffered a sprained quad against Boise State and did not see action in the Utah Valley game.

Kelly Isleib — arguably the most valuable player on the Utes’ roster — injured her knee at the end of the Boise State game and did not play against Utah Valley.

If you’ve been impressed by Letro’s nationally acclaimed performances, consider the year Isleib is having. She leads the nation in assists, with 10 in 12 matches.

Yet even without these key players, the Utes dominated the Wolverines at every turn.

“We got off to a pretty good start,” Manning said.

“Pretty good” might be underselling his team. By halftime the Utes were up 2-0.

Throughout the year, Manning has urged his team to begin matches playing fired-up soccer, but the Utes have struggled with this.

Utah has trailed by one or two goals during the opening half on several occasions. The Utes are usually able to overcome the deficits, but Manning would prefer his team didn’t fall behind in the first place.

The Utes scored early on goals by Lauren Hair and Erin Dalley. Both Hair and Dalley are freshmen.

The freshmen tandem opened the floodgates and before the Wolverines knew what was happening, their I-15 foes had built up a 6-0 lead.

Hair got her second goal of the night about 10 minutes later on an assist from Chelsea Card.

The freshman beat Utah Valley’s keeper and booted it home.

Paola Marsenaro scored off a rebound in the 79th minute. In the final 10 minutes, Katy Reineke and Chelsea Card added another goal apiece.

Keepers Lynzee Lee, Emalee Rogers and Andy Edman teamed up for the shutout.

The match marks the Utes best offensive effort since Utah beat Wyoming 8-2 in 2001.

The Utes are back in action on Oct. 6 when they travel to Logan for a match against another in-state foe, Utah State.

Maegan Burr

Katy Reineke battles a Utah Valley State’s Athena Bradshaw for the ball Wednesday in the Utes’ 6-0 win.