Take five: Five ‘can’t miss’ events in the coming week

By Danny Letz

Thursday, Oct. 4

Environmental Impact DayFree10 p.m.West Patio of the Union Building

Come celebrate the founding of the University’s Office of Sustainability at Campus Environmental Impact Day — an entire morning of sustainable fun sponsored by ASUU. A new campus master plan and alternative fuel vehicles will be on display alongside presentations on electricity consumption/conservation, campus agriculture, dining and recycling. U President Michael Young, Office of Sustainability Director Craig Forster and ASUU President Spencer Pearson will be speaking.

Authors Life Presents: Joe Raiola — “The Joy of Censorship”Free7 p.m.Salt Lake City Public Library (210 E. 400 South)

With a history of pushing cultural boundaries — highlighted by publisher William Gaines’ infamous battle with the U.S. Senate over comic book censorship — MAD magazine has spit biting political satire and pop parody since its 1952 inauguration. In honor of Banned Books Week, take in a slideshow with MAD magazine senior editor Joe Raiola as he guides the Salt Lake City Public Library through a slideshow of MAD’s most controversial covers and articles.

Friday, Oct. 5 and Saturday, Oct. 6

Tower Theatre’s Midnight Movie: “The Shining”$812 a.m.Tower Theatre (876 E. 900 South)

Kick off the Halloween season with a terrifying take on one of Salt Lake City nightlife’s most enduring features, the “Midnight Movie.” The Salt Lake Film Society will be screening horror classic “The Shining” on Friday and Saturday, so Mediterranean cuisine at Mazza, a cup of Joe at Coffee Garden and a heaping helping of cinematic terror at the Tower.

Saturday, Oct. 6

Japanese Food BazaarFree1 p.m. to 8 p.m.Salt Lake Buddhist Temple (211 W. 100 South)

The Japanese Food Bazaar is not to be missed for two excellent reasons. First, it is the Salt Lake Buddhist Temple’s annual fund-raiser. Second, there’s going to be piles of sushi, tempura and teriyaki to indulge your Eastern tastes. Food cost ranges from $3 to $8 and crafts, chapel tours and a silent auction promise to make the Bazaar a culturally — not to mention nutritionally — rewarding experience.

Wednesday, Oct. 10SLC Film Center Presents: “King Leopold’s Ghost”Free (Suggested Donation of $5)Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center (138 W. Broadway)

The Salt Lake City Film Center is Salt Lake City’s premier source for independent, obscure and thoroughly engaging cinema and the Wednesday screening of “King Leopold’s Ghost” stands as a testament to the center’s dedication to quality documentary filmmaking. Chronicling the atrocities that still occur in the wake of King Leopold II’s actions during Belgium’s nearly 150-year rule over the Congo, “King Leopold’s Ghost,” narrarated by Don Cheadle, James Cromwell and Alfre Woodard, embodies film’s potential for political change. Following the screening, Rulon Wood of the U film studies department will lead a discussion.