Bush dislikes children

By Nicholas Pappas

I’ve never been a fan of small children. It might have something to do with living amongst piles of them in the Sandy suburbs. In an age of discovery, they look for higher and higher pitches in their screams, believing in their little hearts that the more noise they make, the more attention they’ll get. And they’re right.

God bless them, children are loud.

I’ve finally found something in common with a president of whom I’ve never talked highly. Dubya doesn’t like children either. He has the red stamp to prove it.

Though he promised to be a fiscal conservative in 2000, Dubya has become the Paris Hilton of presidents. Given free reign of Daddy Warbuck’s checkbook (re: our tax dollars), Dubya has brought about record deficit spending, not to mention a tiny war around an oil-rich desert that will end up costing close to a trillion dollars. He likes to spend. He co-owned a baseball team for crying out loud.

Still, like any frat boy who leaves college an alcoholic, there’s always time to correct past mistakes. Going back to his fiscal conservatives roots, Dubya plans to veto a significant spending bill — a bill that could save the lives of a growing number of uninsured children.

The State Children’s Health Insurance Program will provide health insurance to more than 6 million children. Last week, a bipartisan compromise bill passed that would expand that coverage to include an additional 3.8 million children.

Take a close look at some of the names that are sponsoring the bill. Its leading supporters are Republicans — Charles Grassley and our own Orrin Hatch, a man who defines “heart” (if you believed those billboards).

Even the pharmaceutical and insurance lobbies are on board with this one. Yet, Dubya is holding his red crayon and has threatened to veto the bill. He has countered by suggesting only $5 billion in five years. This would decrease the amount by at least $9 billion.

It is a bill that would pass if one man would let it. Bush is essentially telling millions of children that no matter how loud they scream, he isn’t going to hear them.

I’m sure he has a good reason. When asked why he has threatened a veto, he stated, “I believe this is a step toward federalization of health care. I know that their proposal is beyond the scope of the program, and that’s why I’m going to veto the bill. Members of Congress are putting health coverage for poor children at risk so they can score political points in Washington.”

So, Mr. President, you are planning to veto the bill because, a) it tingles like the red-scare of socialism, and b) you won’t let the Democrats gain political points, even if it means the death of children across the nation.

Good points. I’m happy to know that our commander-in-chief is willing to put party leverage over human life.

It is a little short-sighted. Dubya should know that the more healthy children who reach adulthood, the more soldiers we’ll have to convince to fight in petty wars.

We’ve learned our lesson about Bush — he will stay the course. There is no convincing the man to change his mind. Yet, there can still be a veto-proof majority. The Senate already has it. It’s now a matter of getting votes in the House.

The time has come again for parents to raise their voices. Learn from your children. The louder you are, the more attention you’ll get.