NBA Preview: Celtic supergroup

By Cody Brunner

Kevin Garnett. Ray Allen. Paul Pierce.

Is that a typo? How in the hell could three superstars like that end up on the same team?

I don’t even need to see the rest of the Boston Celtics roster to know that they’re going to be a top-tier team this season. They could have guys like Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins as their other two starters and still be money.

Wait…those guys are the other two starters. Like I said though, it doesn’t matter. There will be enough production between those three to win games.

You probably have me tabbed as a sellout Boston fan now, but that couldn’t be further from the truth (I’m a Bucks fan, sadly enough). I just can’t help but be in awe at the amount of talent and can’t wait to see how it all works out.

Garnett was probably the biggest acquisition for the Celts and it came with the biggest price. The power forward came over in a trade that sent seven Celtics players to Minnesota.

Although the move seriously depleted their roster, it gave Boston one of the best inside scorers in the NBA and more importantly, one of the best passing big men in the game. Garnett’s career staple of 4.5 assists per game will only improve as he now has a pair of legitimate scoring threats around him.

The bigger of those two threats is shooting guard Jesus Shuttlesworth…I mean, Ray Allen. Allen was really the only good thing the Supersonics had going for them for the past century, besides Gary Payton, and how did they repay him? By putting a foot in his ass and kicking him out the door.

In all reality, Allen is definitely on the downside of his career, but he is still one of the league’s best shooters and will be a huge asset for the Celtics this season.

Then you throw Paul Pierce’s potent mid-range offense into the mix, and you’ve got the best trio of players in the NBA.

Garnett, Allen and Pierce averaged a whopping 73.8 points per game combined last season and will surely give opposing coaches headaches this year.

If they focus on Garnett, he’ll kick it out to Allen for a three. If they focus on the perimeter, Pierce and Allen will just throw it in to the big man. Stopping any one of those three was hard enough for opposing teams before they played together. Just imagine how hard they will be to stop now.

I do realize that the trio can’t possibly sustain their numbers while sharing the same basketball, but I have a feeling it will work out well for Celtic nation. Allen will keep doing what he does best and score around 30 points per game from the perimeter. Garnett will dominate on the boards and pile up assists in heaps. Pierce will inevitably take on a much smaller role than he is used to, but will still be a focal point.

As for Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins and the rest of the Boston roster, your services aren’t even needed. Seriously, don’t show up. Those three can take teams on by themselves.