Boras has ruined A-Rod

By Chris Kamrani

It’s official. Alex Rodriguez has really crossed over to the dark side.

But instead of George Steinbrenner and his Sith compatriots controlling, A-Rod is a bit of something else. The poison that Rodriguez has been injected with is no sort of steroid or growth hormone. It’s a lethal dose of the drug known as Scott Boras.

Known for favoring the dramatic, Boras decided that it would be best to announce that Rodriguez had decided to opt out of his contract with the Yankees…in the middle of game four of the World Series. In a short matter of minutes, Rodriguez became more important than the World Series — the Red Sox victory and the ended jubilation that was the Colorado Rockies.

Where is the baby-faced, electric Mariner we all once knew? Place the blame squarely upon Boras. The so-called “super agent” has seemed to have sucked out the love and respect of the game for A-Rod.

Instead of A-Rod boasting his third or fourth championship ring with the Yanks — he finds himself opting out of a contract that would’ve been paying him close to a total of $27 million a season.

Could it be that he is truly unhappy and needs a change of scenery? Perhaps. He hasn’t helped his cause too much either though. His playoff performances usually end with him going MIA and whiffing with countless runners in scoring position.

That’s a fact that makes you cringe. Who knows? Maybe Boras gave A-Rod the ol’ wink to swing and miss on purpose.

The fact remains that the A-Rod era is “officially” done with the pinstripes (according to the Steinbrenner boys) and Boras is relishing the opportunity to make his 15-20 percent on another ridiculously monstrous contract (his other clients include Barry Zito, David Beckham and Daisuke Matsuzaka).

There are many possible suitors for a guy who has averaged 43 homers and 128 RBIs in the past four seasons. Keep in mind that those past four years were in New York.

The Angels, Giants, Tigers, Mets and Dodgers are all possible suitors for the bequeathed slugger.

Look out for a secret shopper this offseason in recently crowned champion Boston.

It’s an extreme stretch with the emergence of World Series MVP Mike Lowell (a free-agent as well) at third base, but there seems to be some severe bad-blood between A-Rod and his former employer.

I wouldn’t even think to put it past wonderboy Theo Epstein. This is the same guy who wooed then-Diamondback Curt Schilling into signing with the Sox in a single meal. One meal to get the ace that would produce performance after performance, the bloody sock and a pair of rings?

The question is: Do the Sox even want A-Rod? Granted, BoSox fans all over have a distinct hatred for the guy after the couple fights he was involved in, but would the Sox be better off with him? Now, that’s a loaded question.

Most know A-Rod isn’t exactly the most “loyal” guy in baseball. Skipping out on a chance to win a ring with the Mariners for $252 million, demanding a trade from the Rangers after he figured out he was an idiot for leaving Seattle and now this. A-Rod is rapidly approaching the record for most “get out of jail” free cards.

In other words, A-Rod would leap at the chance to join his once hated rivals. Scrapping that joke of a shortstop in Julio Lugo would allow A-Rod to move back to his “natural” position and the Sox would be allowed to keep Lowell at third. If this happens for some amazing reason, it would ensure countless rings for the Red Sox nation (along with a bandwagon so large that even Nicole Richie couldn’t fit in).

Whether it’s with the Red Sox, rejoining Brooklyn Joe in La-la land or some joke of a team like my San Francisco Giants, Rodriguez has vastly become the epitome of the present day athlete. Chasing records, not rings. Flying solo, instead of as a teammate.

It’s not just being a pawn and aiding the exploitation of the corruption in sports. It’s the mere fact that he has got to the point of choosing money over happiness and success. Steinbrenner — you’ve taught him well.