Football notebook: Line leads the charge

By Cody Brunner

Plugging the holes

Getting called out by an opposing coach might not be the best source of motivation, but it has worked for the Utes this season.

After allowing UNLV running back Frank Summers to plow through their defense for 190 yards and three touchdowns earlier this season, Utah players caught wind of the Rebel coaches and players making fun of how they shied away from tackling the 6-foot, 232-pound back.

The remarks from the team both humiliated and infuriated the Utes’ defense and the team has been on a personal mission to stop opposing running games ever since.

“What’s his name from UNLV — I’ll leave it at that — kind of called us out a bit and we took offense from it,” said Utah safety Steve Tate. “From that week on, we’ve been kind of focusing on stopping the run.”

The U defense had a lapse in the first quarter two weeks ago and allowed CSU running back Gartrell Johnson to tally 82 yards in the first quarter.

From then on, it was back to business. The Utes held Johnson to just 13 rushing yards during the final three quarters and left Fort Collins with a 27-3 win.

Taking what the opponent gives

In 2005, Utah quarterback Brian Johnson ranked fourth in the nation in total yards per game (337), averaging 289.2 through the air and 47.8 on the ground. This season, Johnson averages 165.7 passing yards and 3.4 rushing yards per game.

The biggest disparity between the two seasons though is in the win column. In 2005, Johnson went 5-5 as Utah’s starting quarterback. This season, the junior is 5-1 as the starter, with the only loss coming against Oregon State when he left the game early with a shoulder injury.

“He’s more experienced and a lot more mature,” Whittingham said. “He was able to see the game through a coach’s eyes last year and that really helped in his development as a player. In the end, that win-loss record is all that matters”

Five playing as one

Another theme that is consistently popping up is how hard the Utes are to beat when running back Darrell Mack runs for 100 yards. The team is now 6-0 when Mack eclipses the century mark, most recently downing CSU behind 153 yards from the back.

Although Mack has proven himself as one of the elite running backs in the MWC, the junior has been running through some pretty gaping holes created by the Utah offensive line.

“Our offense starts at the front with the offensive line and those guys have been doing such a great job up front all year long,” Johnson said. “It’s made my job and Darrell’s job a lot easier.”

The big boys up front experienced some shuffling earlier on in the season due to injuries to all-conference tackle Jason Boone and guard Corey Seiuli, but seem to have found some cohesion heading into the final quarter of the season.

“There’s no other positional group in football that relies more upon that chemistry and cohesiveness than the offensive line and they’re starting to play as one,” Whittingham said.

Sack lunch

Utah has been putting a considerable amount of pressure on opposing quarterbacks this season. That was most evident against Colorado State when the U defense compiled seven sacks in the victory.

The Utes currently rank third in the conference in sacks (26). Senior defensive end Martail Burnett leads the team with 6.0 sacks, but 15 players have recorded at least one sack this season.

“Our number-one priority is always stopping our opponent’s running game,” Whittingham said. “When we’re effective at stopping the run, we’ll try to get after the quarterback.”

Tyler Cobb

Left guard Zane Beadles and his four teammates on the offensive line continue to open up holes in the defense for the Ute backs to run through.