Students celebrate Indian heritage

By Carlos Mayorga

More than 500 people packed the Union Ballroom on Saturday evening as students and members of the community joined to celebrate the food, dance, film and music of India.

Jhalak is an annual event organized by the Indian Students Association at the U. The celebration has grown every year since the first India night six years ago and is a way to bring Indian students at the U together, said D. Gadicherla, a member of the group and a graduate student in mechanical engineering.

“Many of us are master’s students and we are usually working on research and projects,” Gadicherla said. “But Indians want to show their culture and this is the only event which is a retreat for Indians at the U.”

People in attendance stood for the Indian national anthem to kick off the night, which featured student performances blending traditional Indian folk and classical moves with modern dances that incorporate western influence.

Because of globalization, India has become more westernized in recent years. Student performers seemed to reflect that influence, combining traditional regional Indian dances with Bollywood-style moves.

Bollywood was inspired by the West’s film culture and is now one of the largest film industries in the world. Many of the films it produces are musicals, which incorporate popular music and dance routines into the scripts with plots of love and comedy.

Some female student performers wore saris or langas, which are traditional one- or three-piece dresses. Some of the males in attendance wore kurta pajamas with chunni, an outfit for special occasions. Most, however, wore jeans.

Although the dance moves are mostly Indian, the jeans and t-shirts represent that some western influence has been incorporated into Indian culture, said Neha Parmar, a senior in mass communication.

The night also included a performance from a live band and a skit in the Hindi language.

“There are many Indians at the University of Utah and I think that it helps people to become more aware,” Parmar said. “Our culture is very enriching.”

During an intermission, students and families were able to sample Indian foods, such as samosas, which are fried triangular pastries filled with potato.

Not only did the event bring together Indian students and their families, but also non-Indians as well, Parmar said.

“I think that people see me promoting this event or see me dancing in my langa and choli and they ask me questions,” Parmar said. “I think at the very least they go research things about India and enlighten themselves.”

Liz Rohde

Surabhi Kasera performed a classical dance during India night Saturday at the Union building.