Five events better than prime time

By Danny Letz

Thurs., Nov. 8 to Sat., Nov. 11International Documentary Association DocuweekTower Theatre (876 E. 900 South) Various times$8

In conjunction with the International Documentary Association and the Salt Lake Film Society, the Tower Theatre will host a number of acclaimed films to celebrate the history of documentary filmmaking. Films include Jessica Yu’s exploration of extremism, “Protagonist,” and Bill Haney’s exposé on the grueling lives of sugar worker in the Dominican Republic, “The Price of Sugar.” For more info, visit www.saltlakefilmsociety.org.

Fri., Nov. 9Official Release of the Utah QuarterRio Grande Depot (300 Rio Grande Street)9 a.m. to 2 p.m.Free

I know what you’re thinking, “Finally!” The land of Zion gets the recognition it has long awaited this Friday as the Utah Commemorative Quarter Commission and the U.S. Mint unveil the trains, spikes and snowy peaks of the official Utah Quarter. The 10 a.m. ceremony will be followed by live musical performances, roving entertainers, a quarter exchange, a historic coin exhibition, an art exhibit in the Rio Gallery, souvenir and light concession sales and more!

Fri., Nov. 9 and Sat., Nov. 10Midnight Movie: “Escape From L.A.”Tower Theatre (876 E. 900 South) Midnight$8

When the president crashed into the Manhattan prison island back in ’98, one-eyed badass Snake Plissken was there to save the day. When an earthquake annexed Los Angeles from the mainland, leading the government to declare its second prison colony in 2013 and the president’s daughter escaped with a stolen doomsday device, Snake Plissken was there to save the day. Come relive the magic of excessive violence and gratuitous one-liners as Kurt Russell battles his way back onto the Tower’s silver screen as, you guessed it, the legendary Snake Plissken.

Sat., Nov. 10No Quarter — The Ultimate Tribute to Led ZeppelinThe Depot (400 W. South Temple) 8 p.m.$10, $12 day of show

Admit it, you’ll never afford tickets to any fabled Led Zeppelin reunion tour. It’s OK. Take a deep breath, acceptance is part of the grieving process. In light of this realization, before you undertake any extreme measures (like becoming a Journey fan in protest), consider attending the No Quarter concert this Saturday at The Depot. Praised as perhaps the best Zeppelin cover band around, the $10 ticket price is sure to be worth the time.

Tues., Nov. 13How-To Tuesdays: How To Use Tai Chi To Reduce Holiday StressThe City Library (210 E. 400 South) 7 p.m.Free

Though Tai Chi isn’t winning over converts at the rate of other forms of Eastern relaxation and exercise (read: yoga), its teachings and movements have been praised as one of the ultimate forms of relaxation — and with finals, holidays and cranky extended family around the corner, there’s no better time to take a load off and dance. So, if you’re interested in lowering your blood pressure and reducing stress, check out the City Library’s latest installment in their How To Tuesdays series, How to Use Tai Chi to Reduce Holiday Stress.