U honors veterans in two-day commemoration

By Arthur Raymond

Eleven Utah veterans of World War II will be honored in two days of commemoration, discussions and music.

Events kick off today with a display of vintage military vehicles from the collection of Karl Smith. Vehicles can be seen on the south end of the Union. A panel discussion will be held this morning at 8:45 in the Panorama East Room of the Union. The panel will be discussing the challenges of family members who have loved ones in service.

A full-dress military ceremony, 21-gun salute and USO-inspired band performance will round out the services today. The Utah National Guard Army Band will perform at the Huntsman Center tomorrow at 7 p.m. KUED will broadcast that concert live.

U spokesman Remi Barron said the event is “one of the biggest commemorations on a college campus in the country.” He also noted that members of the U’s Army, Navy and Air Force ROTC units will participate in the ceremonies.

The Veterans Day Committee has been honoring Utah veterans since 1998.

The 11 honorees for 2007 are Charles A. Cooke, John L. Moore, Lawrence W. Stimpson, Luman P. Slagle, Raymond S. Howarth, Willard H. White, Nelson T. Akagi, Jack Schade, John H. Dinkelman, Don E. Hammill and Ora Mae S. Hyatt.

More information on the event, past honorees and the committee can be found at www.veteransday.utah.edu.