MWC Power Rankings

No. 1 Brigham Young (7-2, 5-0 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 at Wyoming

The Cougars sit on the fringe of the Top-25 and are one of two MWC teams that own a six-game winning streak heading into the weekend. Unless mother nature changes what looks to be mid-50 degree temperatures in Laramie on Saturday, the Cougars won’t have to worry about the weather either — just the hornets’ nest their northern rival stirred up.

No. 2 Utah (7-3, 4-2 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 New Mexico

Classless or not, the Utes have been playing as well as anyone in the conference and have sent yet another message to the remaining two teams on its schedule about just how dangerous they can be when provoked. The Utes won’t need any of that kind of motivation against New Mexico, as they let the Lobos come back from a 24-3 deficit to win 34-31 last year.

No. 3 New Mexico (7-3, 4-2 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 at Utah

The Lobos can join Air Force and Utah as teams waiting in the wings for BYU to stumble, but don’t expect Rocky Long to make any predictions about Saturday’s game. The only conference losses the Lobos have suffered this year have been to the last two MWC champions. Whether that number stops at two, or extends to four, will depend on this weekend.

No. 4 Air Force (8-3, 5-2 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 San Diego State

The Falcons can’t do anything about their 31-6 loss to BYU in September or their 34-31 loss to New Mexico two weeks ago, but they can solidify their outside chance at taking home their first MWC championship with a win over its last conference opponent of the season this week. Why anyone would have a bye scheduled for the last week of the season is beyond me.

No. 5 San Diego State (4-5, 3-2 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 at Air Force

Right now the Aztecs are playing with house money. Despite their sub-.500 record, they are still in the competitive mix for a conference championship. Their remaining schedule is still by far the hardest of any MWC team, but if Mekell Wesley can repeat his 178 return-yard performance, including an 89-yard romp for a touchdown, the Aztecs have a shot.

No. 6 Texas Christian (5-5, 2-4 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 UNLV

With their loss to BYU, the Horned Frogs are fighting to become bowl-eligible in mid-November for the first time in four seasons. If they don’t get it done against either of the two upcoming gifts that lie on their doorstep, then TCU will forfeit a chance to delight their home fans in the Armed Forces Bowl.

No. 7 Wyoming (5-5, 2-4 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 BYU

Whether it’s to a small group of fans or to his pet goldfish, it’s likely Joe Glenn won’t be running his self-proclaimed “big Irish mouth” off again anytime soon. The ultimate way for Wyoming to stick it to the Utes (post-finger) would be to not show up on the field against the Cougars this weekend. Somehow that has to be a conceivable possibility.

No. 8 UNLV (2-8, 1-5 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 at TCU

Linebacker Beau Bell is about the only thing UNLV head coach Mike Sanford has going for him. But not even the senior phenom, who ranks 23rd in the nation in tackles per game (10.3), can save the Rebels from yet another abysmal season. Rebel fans better hope their basketball team can duplicate its performance from last season or it’s going to be a long year.

No. 9 Colorado State (1-9, 1-6 MWC) Next: Nov. 17 Georgia Southern

Who would have thought that CSU head coach Sonny Lubick would be sitting in the MWC cellar after week 10? Despite a pair of dynamic running backs in Gartrell Johnson and Kyle Bell, the Rams have absolutely no semblance of an offensive attack. On defense, well, the Rams just aren’t that good. But with some luck they can celebrate their second win of the season against the Eagles.