Free Alta? Skiers don’t have to share Alta

By Eric Williams

Black-soled shoes are not allowed on a basketball court. Diving is not allowed in some pools. Riding a bicycle is not allowed on the freeway. And snowboarding is not allowed at Alta Ski Area. As Phil Collins so eloquently put it, “That’s just the way it is.”

It seems we all want what we can’t have. And no matter how many prideful Utah snowboarders deny it, they want Alta.

Just as thrill-seeking rebels sneak onto basketball courts in hiking boots and roughhousing teenagers dive into six-foot-deep pools when the life guard isn’t looking, snowboarders poach Alta’s famous powder stashes and cliff shots any time the ski patrollers turn their heads.

I, a lifelong skier, have no problem with snowboarders. Many of my friends are knuckle draggers. Heck, after a two-week high-pressure cycle when the snow has been skied out, I even strap one on myself. And I love seeing my boarder buddies awkwardly struggling down the mountain on skis, poles flailing. In my mind we all can, and do, get along.

For the most part, the beef between skiers and boarders is as dead as 2Pac. Still, there are those who refuse to listen to logic and keep skier vs. boarder hate alive. To those people — skiers and boarders alike — I say get over it.

It is undeniable that skiers and boarders can harmoniously coexist on shared mountains. Most modern winter rider movies now embrace both sports, and snowboarding has become an Olympic event.

But seriously, who doesn’t love the occasional boys’ or girls’ night out? Who doesn’t love running into a fellow Ute in Provo?

It feels good to be with those who share your interests, ideals and footwear. That’s not to say guys don’t love their girlfriends or I don’t love my zoobie best friend. It’s just nice to enjoy a little time between skiers.

Not having to weave through a maze of boarders sitting down to strap their boards back on at the top of the lift is kind of nice, too.

I don’t believe skiers would complain if Brighton Resort, The Canyons or Brian Head Resort turned into snowboard-only resorts overnight. Brighton basically is snowboarder territory anyway.

Neither the skiers nor employees of Alta hate snowboarders — many of them probably wouldn’t mind allowing boarders on the resort.

Mind you, I make no such claim when it comes to Deer Valley Resort. The management of Alta is merely catering to a niche market of skiers who don’t necessarily miss snowboarders.

Is this market slowly dying? Maybe. If it one day does, rest assured the market will speak and Alta will listen.

For now I think snowboarders should respect Alta’s rules and the skiers who ski there. Not even snowboarders can cross a bridge they themselves have burned.

So boarders, peel the “free Alta” sticker from your Civic or WRX. Just smile and wave from Snowbird and hope for one day.

I can talk till I’m blue in the face or type till my carpal tunnel flares up, but the few overly sensitive, covetous boarders will never stop hating Alta and its skiers.

“That’s just the way it is, some things will never change.”