Throw records out the window

By Cody Brunner

If history has shown us anything, it’s that you can throw records, win streaks and talent levels out the window for Utah and BYU.

None of it matters. It’s typically going to be a competitive game, and fans can usually count on a thrilling finish. Just flip through a couple pages in the rivalry’s recent history.

Nov. 20, 1993, Nov. 19, 1994

This back-to-back series featured identical scores. In 1993, the Utes found themselves on the BYU 37-yard line with time running out and were forced to attempt a 55-yard field goal. After missing two kicks earlier in the game, Chris Yergensen stepped up and drilled the long-range attempt as time expired to get the Utes’ first win in Provo in 21 years. The following year in Salt Lake City saw two nationally ranked teams butting heads until the final horn. With just 56 seconds left, Utah quarterback Mike McCoy found Charlie Brown for a 20-yard touchdown and the Utes went on to win 34-31 for the second consecutive year.

Nov. 21, 1998

The Cougars thought they had an easy victory locked up, holding a nine-point lead over their rivals with less than three minutes left in the game. Utah battled back, though, using a 95-yard kickoff return to cut the deficit to two. With time expiring, the Utes drove the length of the field and set up for a game-winning, 32-yard field-goal attempt. But Ryan Kaneshiro’s attempt bounced off the right goalpost and the Cougars left Salt Lake City with a 26-24 win.

Nov. 24, 2000

Although the Utes and Cougs had been unimpressive throughout their respective seasons, the rivalry tilt lived up to its billing. Trailing by one point and facing a fourth and 13 from his own 17, BYU quarterback Brandon Doman led his team on a four-play touchdown drive with 13 seconds left. The 34-27 comeback win sent legendary football coach LaVell Edwards out in style as he retired following the season.

Nov. 17, 2001

Undefeated and unchallenged, BYU sat at No. 8 in the national rankings and was hoping to become the first non-BCS team to earn an invitation to a BCS bowl. Utah had ideas of its own, though, and carried a 21-10 lead late in the game. But Doman once again led the Cougars on multiple scoring drives, and when all was said and done, BYU left Lavell Edwards Stadium with a 24-21 win.

Nov. 22, 2003

Playing in a near white-out in Provo, defense proved to be king. Neither the Cougars nor the Utes could mount any semblance of an offensive attack, and a 41-yard field goal from Utah’s Bryan Borreson gave the Utes all the points they needed to win their first outright conference championship in nearly 50 years.

Nov. 19, 2005

With starting quarterback Brian Johnson out because of an injury, backup Brett Ratliff caught the Cougs off-guard with some shifty running, leading the Utes to a 24-3 advantage at the half. BYU’s John Beck led the Cougs back, tallying 21 points in the third quarter and tying the game at 34 late to send the contest into overtime. In the extra period, Ratliff connected with wide receiver Travis LaTendresse for a 25-yard touchdown catch that gave the Utes an improbable win.

Nov. 25, 2006

In what will live on as one of the best games in the history of the rivalry, the Cougars (9-2, 7-0) saw a 14-point first quarter lead evaporate behind the play of Utah quarterback Brett Ratliff. Trailing 27-24 with about three minutes left in the game, Ratliff marched the Utes 83 yards before connecting with wide receiver Brent Casteel for a 19-yard touchdown. Beck responded by leading the Cougars down the field and, with no time left on the clock, finding a wide-open Johnny Harline in the left front part of the endzone. The 13-second final play prompted Cougar fans to coin the phrase “Harline is still open.”

Tyler Cobb