A note from the Editor

For the last two years, The Daily Utah Chronicle has teamed up with Brigham Young University’s student newspaper, The Daily Universe, to provide a preview of the “Holy War” between our schools’ football teams. This year, The Chronicle is on its own.

We were forced to scrap plans for a tandem issue when we couldn’t convince The Universe to participate if we purchased insertion into The Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret Morning News.

Oddly enough, it wasn’t a matter of money that caused The Universe to back out. One of the many unique differences between our schools is that The Chronicle is completely independent from the U’s administration. The Universe, on the other hand, is overseen by BYU faculty. A seemingly harmless issue such as the possibility of an Honor Code-violating bar advertisement appearing in that day’s Tribune made faculty members think twice about participating.

Despite BYU’s unfortunate absence on these pages, The Chronicle has made every effort to offer balanced analysis from its perch here in the Salt Lake foothills. We’ve included work from our Sports, News, Opinion and Arts and Entertainment sections to give a comprehensive account of the rivalry’s unique culture.

These 36 pages feature the work of the best journalists and designers the University of Utah has to offer. If you have any comments or suggestions, please let us know so next year’s staff is equipped to do even better.

Above all else, thanks for reading and enjoy the game!

Matthew Piper