Pats dream season: Won’t be undefeated

By Chris Kamrani

Robert Frost once wrote, “Nothing gold can stay.” It just so happens that this verse applies to the 11-0 New England Patriots.

Most football enthusiasts know there has only been one undefeated team since the Super Bowl era. The 1972 Dolphins went undefeated in the regular season — which featured a 14-game season rather than the current 16-game format.

Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and Co. have been invincible so far, but a storm is a brewing overhead.

Brady has been marvelous, Randy Moss is everything that Beantown had hoped, and the defense hasn’t given up more than 28 points in a game this season.

But the goose egg in the loss column has been threatened twice this season. Most recently to the McNabb-less Eagles who had the lead on the Pats in the fourth quarter. As they do best, the Pats pulled their best Houdini impression and ran the unbeaten streak to 11.

A.J. Feeley yes, that A.J. Feeley found the Achilles’ heel in the Pats’ secondary and proceeded to shred it for 345 yards and three touchdowns.

The Eagles might have laid firm groundwork on how to defeat the Patriots. Greg Lewis and Kevin Curtis were running circles around Randall Gay, Ellis Hobbs and Rodney Harrison.

The Patriots defense will be the imperative part in the team’s undoing, and the key is speed — or a lack thereof.

The linebacker corps is aged. Leading tackler Tedy Bruschi is 34, Junior “Say-Ow!” is 38, and Mike “1st-and-goal” Vrabel is 32.

The problem many do not realize is fortune does not always favor the bold.

“Videogate” has brought up the notion that perhaps the Patriots’ resurgence over the past few years has been on account of Belichick and his specialized version of watching film. Bad Karma? You can count on it.

The Pats also play in what could be the sorriest division in the NFL. They have put up 442 points and given up 185. In layman’s terms, the NFL is quite mediocre this season. Out of the 11 victories, four have been against teams that are above 0.500. Granted, they beat Dallas and an overrated Indianapolis team, but besides that, nada.

Another reason the Patriots will not go undefeated will be because of their extremely one-dimensional offensive schemes. We can assume that Brady or Moss will take home the MVP, but without the likes of Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth, the Patriots have one reliable guy to throw to — No. 81.

Sometimes I think Belichick might have some sort of romantic interest in Brady. When I see G.Q. toss 60 passes a game, while leaving hidden beast Laurence Maroney, well, hidden, how can I not?

More than anything, the Patriots have become the Yankees of modern-day football. Week in and week out, enthusiasts from any team crave a New England loss.

If the Pats run the tables, I will go as far as a guarantee that they will not make the Super Bowl.

On the menu the rest of the way are the Ravens, Steelers, Jets, Dolphins and Giants.

Interestingly, the 14-0 Pats could meet the 0-14 Dolphins in Week 16, so watch out. Wonder what the spread in Vegas will be? Yeah, I dare you.