Buhler asked to head system of higher ed

By Clayton Norlen

Dave Buhler, who recently lost a bid for Salt Lake City Mayor, is slated to substitute as commissioner for the Utah System of Higher Education until a new full-time commissioner is found.

Jed Pitcher, chair of the State Board of Regents, has recommended that Buhler serve as interim commissioner through the spring legislative session until the regents find a replacement for current commissioner Richard Kendell, who is retiring in January.

The System of Higher Education is a governing body that oversees public colleges and universities in Utah.

“Dave has the experience and skills needed to navigate the system through the legislative session and other significant issues and events,” Pitcher said in a statement.

The regents are expected to approve Pitcher’s recommendation in a meeting scheduled for Dec. 14, according to a statement released by the system. Buhler has served with the USHE as associate commissioner of public affairs since 2000, working with legislators, the media and university administrators.

Amanda Covington, a spokeswoman for the regents, said that they will continue to look for a replacement for Kendell, but she expected Buhler would serve as interim for at least the next six months.

“I’m very honored to be asked to serve in this position,” Buhler said. “I’ve served for the past seven years as an associate commissioner, and I’ll continue to advance the cause of higher education in Utah.”

Buhler’s previous public experience includes serving as the Salt Lake City Council member for District Six from 1999 to 2006 and as a Utah State Senator from 1995 to 1999. As interim commissioner, Buhler would be expected to work with presidents from universities and colleges across Utah and advocate their interests to legislators.

“I’ve known and worked with Dave for the past eight years,” said Fred Esplin, vice president for institutional advancement at the U. “He knows the Legislature and higher education and could bring a lot of experience to this interim position.”