Hatch’s juvenile take on global warming

By Joseph Bateman

Recently, Utah senator-for-life Orrin Hatch told an audience at Utah Valley State College that if environmentalists “had any brains,” then they would support nuclear energy as a solution to global warming. As the fallacy of this argument has already been exposed (“Nuclear power isn’t the answer to our crisis,” Nov. 8), what his sneer reveals is how out of touch Hatch is with his constituents.

This isn’t the first time Hatch has made such a ridiculous statement. In 2006, he labeled a group of protestors calling for the end of occupation in Iraq as “nut cakes,” despite a KSL survey that, at the time of Hatch’s castigation, found that 51 percent of Utahns approved of Bush’s policies and 46 percent disapproved. Nationwide, Bush’s approval rate was as low as 23 percent. Common sense would dictate that this is a polarizing issue with no overwhelming majority in either camp, at least in Utah. So, why does Hatch resort to leadership qualities, such as name-calling, that are found within a kindergarten playground?

Apparently, Hatch, given his recent gibe, never grew up and is a child who has been left behind to romp around and throw a temper tantrum whenever he hears something he doesn’t like.

Global warming is one issue about which Hatch is seen throwing hissy fits. Hatch doesn’t even believe in global warming, so why the concern? In fact, an article in The Salt Lake Tribune finds Hatch declaring “Let’s call it science fiction.” Sen. Hatch then goes on to cite his tedious research: The State of Fear by Michael Crichton. That’s right. Forget nearly every scientist’s analysis, conclusions found within the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or even our own government institutions, such as the Department of Defense, that raise serious concerns about global warming.

As citizens of the Beehive State, we can rest easily, though one of our senators reads a science fiction book as research into a topic that even a Fox News poll found 82 percent of people believe exists.

Unlike global warming, nuclear power is one issue that divides Utahns. A Mason-Dixon poll found that 43 percent favor construction of a nuclear plant, and 42 percent oppose it. Clearly, leadership is needed to unite the two factions. What we get instead is a weary-eyed Hatch emerging from naptime and going straight to the playground politics of name-calling.

Again, Hatch forgot to do his research. Maybe the dog ate it, or maybe he’s captivated in another fictional story. Regardless, Hatch seems oblivious to the report which found that Utah’s geothermal, wind and solar energy potential could power 1.4 billion people. Yes, that’s not a misprint-billions. Put in another perspective, that is 538 times the 2006 population of Utah and almost five times the population of the entire United States. This could translate to an enormous economic boom for Utah as an energy exporter as well as alleviate our reliance on global warming-causing fossil fuels.

Maybe Hatch has been in office so long that he forgot what his role is as a public servant. His job isn’t to read fictional novels but to respond to and represent the will of the people. If this isn’t clear, Hatch should work on creating a new path paved with common ground instead of spewing insults. Although the path for Utahns might not be clear for nuclear energy, the way forward is renewable energy without the numerous problems of nuclear power. According to a Deseret Morning News poll, an overwhelming majority of Utahns support problem-free renewable technology: 92 percent for solar energy, 90 percent for wind and 80 percent for geothermal.

The path for these renewables is clear, and it is now Hatch’s job to answer to the will of the people.