The Word: Chronicle’s guide to the SLC music scene

By Makena Walsh

Dec. 7Grand Ole Party7 p.m.$5Kilby Court (741 S. 330 West)

If there’s contention over whether this group’s name is in homage to the stalwart Republican party or just an indication that it likes to have a good time, its beguiling funk grooves, electric twangs and haunting croons undoubtedly reinforce the latter. Moving its Creole hoodoo music from the Bay Area to San Diego in 2006, the band was met with lavish praise by its new home — a “Best New Artist” nomination and “Best Alternative Band” in the city’s music awards. The Party’s haunting debut, Humanimals, was produced by the same Blake Sennett of Rilo Kiley notoriety, with whom the band toured in the fall of 2007.

Dec. 7Iron and Wine7 p.m.$20Great Salt Air (12408 W. Saltair Drive, Magna)

Probably known to most for his minimalist rendition of the Postal Service’s “Such Great Heights,” singer/songwriter Sam Beam has proven himself to be significantly more than a one-hit-indie-cover artist. After releasing his debut on Sub Pop Records, The Creek Drank the Cradle, Beam released the Woman King EP as he followed the old folk artist tradition of going electric. That and another EP, In The Reins, done in collaboration with southwestern styled Calexico, further warranted Beam’s comparison among such forebears as Elliot Smith and Nick Drake. His latest, The Shepherd’s Dog, is debatably the most ambitious to date.

Dec. 12Colour Revolt7 p.m.$6Kilby Court (741 S. 330 West)

Colour Revolt has more than a few things in common with similarly-sounding Modest Mouse. The group, like its now cult-classic contemporary, also borrowed its name from a novel of modernity — in this case, Edwin Abbott’s Flatland. Not only that, but the Revolt’s tumultuous indie rock happened to catch the ear of Clay Jones, engineer of Oxford, Mississippi’s Sweat Tea Studios — who has done mixes for Elvis Costello and Modest Mouse. The philosophy of the Revolt’s lo-fi indie rock ethic was manifested when, faced with inadequate recording facilities, the group constructed its own out of cardboard, a broomstick and a pair of pantyhose to record its 2005 EP, Esperanza Plantation.

Dec. 14Eyedea and Abilities6 p.m.$12.50In The Venue (579 W. 200 South)

E & A consists of Minnesota battle-rap master/Rhymesayers collective member/freestyler extraordinaire Eyedea (aka Michael Averill) and 1200 Hobos/Mixtape minister DJ Abilities. While Michael has, of late, been more known for his improvisational Face Candy and alternative rock Carbon Carousel projects, apparently, he still likes to recite writtens while Abilities cuts it up with characteristic skill.