Football: Life of Brian (12/10)

By Cody Brunner

With the Utah football team heading to San Diego to take on Navy on Dec. 20, The Daily Utah Chronicle caught up with Ute quarterback Brian Johnson to talk about the perks of Bowl games, the Bowl Championship Series and what the Utes have to do to end the season on a positive note.

The Chronicle: So, Utah is headed to the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego. What’s the best thing about going to a bowl for a player?

Johnson: Um…the gifts. Those are just awesome.

The Chronicle: That was my next question. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received from going to a bowl?

Johnson: For the Fiesta Bowl, we got iPods and camcorders, too. I think the Fiesta Bowl was the best (gifts) that we’ve got since I’ve been here.

The Chronicle: Any others worth mentioning?

Johnson: We got a DVD player for the Emerald Bowl, but the thing was that everybody got DVD players in ’03 for playing in the Liberty Bowl, so some people were mad about that.

The Chronicle: What’s on the list for this year? Poinsettias?

Johnson: The last two years have been awesome, because we got Best Buy cards. That’s kind of cool because then we can get whatever we want. That’s the best way to go.

The Chronicle: Anything else?

Johnson: I think the guys deserve it. It rewards them for the effort they put in year round. We’re only playing games in the fall, but we’ll be back in here practicing and lifting the week after school starts (in January). It’s nice to get rewarded after a long year’s work.

The Chronicle: How difficult is it for a student athlete such as yourself to prepare for a bowl game and have to worry about finals and all of that stuff, too?

Johnson: This year, it hasn’t been too bad. I’m almost finished with school, so I don’t really have many classes, and fortunately I don’t think I have one final during finals week. So, for me, bowl games are actually the easiest time, because you have more time to go back and study your opponent better.

The Chronicle: On a different note, what do you think about the whole BCS system and how it all shook out this season?

Johnson: This is an odd year. I don’t think there’s any way this year they’ll figure out who the best team in the country is, you know. So many teams with one or two losses deserve a chance to play in the game, but for the most part, I think they got it right.

The Chronicle: Do you think moving toward a playoff or a plus-one format would solve the problem?

Johnson: With this season, I don’t even think a plus-one would solve it. I think a playoff would be the logical solution. There’s 11 conferences, so take those 11 conference champions and five at-large berths and then incorporate the bowls. That would be the most logical solution, but at the end of the day, it’s all about the money.

The Chronicle: Other than Brian Johnson, who should win the Heisman this year?

Johnson: (Arkansas running back Darren) McFadden. I think he’s the best in college football right now. He wasn’t on the best team, but talent-wise he was definitely the best in the country.

The Chronicle: Turning to Navy, everybody has basically had a field day passing the ball against the defense this season. How many times are you guys going to pass the ball against Navy? Seventy times? Eighty?

Johnson: (Laughing) I’d like to, but that’s probably not going to happen. We’ll be balanced in what we do, and when we do throw, we’ve got to complete balls and score touchdowns.

The Chronicle: As always, finish this thought for me: Utah will beat Navy if…

Johnson: If we score more points than them (Laughing).

The Chronicle: No kidding, really? That’s how you win games?

Johnson: (Laughing) Honestly, I think we need to control the ball and limit their possessions and make the most out of ours.