Chronicle’s View: Get out and vote

Today is a day when you will have the power to affect the direction our nation will take for four years. Our generation hears it every year: get out and vote. Now, more than ever, would be the time to do it.

Our country is in economic turmoil that could affect not only the existence of Social Security but our ability to afford the cost of living because of the slipping dollar value.

We are in a war that is costing billions of dollars and countless human lives and has gone on to the point that the ability of our armed forces to protect our country is questionable.

We have countless adults and children living without health care. Global warming is not going away. The list goes on and on, and the next president of the United States has the ability to push and pull each of these topics in any direction he or she chooses.

The differences between the candidates running are vast, and the race is so close that there is no identifiable frontrunner.

If there were ever a time to get up from the couch on which you might be studying or sleeping and act on the opinions you have about candidates, that time would be now.

It is a time when the future of your country depends on you.