Big Cottonwood Canyon: Hit up the jib spot on the way down

By Jessica Dunn

Storm Mountain, located about three miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon, is a popular picnic area in the summer. There’s also an amphitheater and lots of rock climbing spots nearby.

The area is closed off in the winter, but it has a small handrail for jibbing. It’s good for a quick session, especially on the way down from the resorts after a day of riding.

The rail goes down a good sloped hill — it’s pretty long and easy to hit. It’s usually covered in snow and is fairly low to the ground. The line in comes from the parking lot, so it’s pretty flat, but it’s simple and quick to set up a hill of snow for speed.

The only problem with this spot is parking. There really isn’t any. The picnic parking area is closed off with a gate, and the parking area across the street is full of snow right now. You can try parking along the road, but there isn’t much space there, either, because of all of the snow. There is an open parking lot a little up the road, past Silent Rock, and you have to walk down.

Also, as a side note, it’s unclear whether it’s illegal to jib this rail or not. It’s worth the risk, though.