Campus Lovin’: Absence makes the heart grow fonder

By Tayler Covington

Long-distance dating relationships take work but are stronger than other relationships, researchers say.

In 2007, Ohio State University conducted a study comparing long-distance dating relationships with geographically close dating relationships. The study found that despite limited interaction, those in a long-distance relationship proved to have more stability than those in a geographically close relationship.

Chelsea Digrazia, a senior majoring in exercise and sport science, has been dating her boyfriend for three-and-a-half years. Her boyfriend lives in Elko, Nev., but they see each other nearly every weekend.

“We talk on the phone every day, probably almost four times a day,” Digrazia said.

She said that not being able to see her boyfriend every day was frustrating, but they are used to it now.

“If we didn’t get to see each other every other weekend, it would be harder,” she said.

The study found that long-distance relationships are more stable than close relationships as long as the long-distance couple remained geographically separated, but long-distance partners were likely to break up if they saw each other on a regular basis.

Jennifer Whitaker has been dating her boyfriend for 10 months, and he lives in Cambridge, England.

“Most couples spend so much time together they get sick of each other, but I think the distance gives (my boyfriend and me) a chance to appreciate each other more and value the time we spend together,” said Whitaker, a junior majoring in pre-civil engineering.

Whitaker said she talks to her boyfriend everyday through text and instant messages.

“We have to plan out when we can speak or see each other, and that can be difficult with our schedules, ” Whitaker said. “Since we don’t get to see each other all the time, when we are together we have a great time. The fact that he is a handsome, charming British guy doesn’t hurt either.”

Another study done by Cleveland State University done in October 2007 found that 25 to 50 percent of college relationships can be classified as “long-distance.” It said that there might be individuals who prefer to be in a distanced relationship so they can have the best of both world: individual freedom with the security of a romantic relationship.

The study also said that long-distance relationships can cause distress for college students because of uncertainty and lower levels of trust and commitment.

Whitaker said that not being able to see your significant other on a regular basis means you really have to trust the other person.

“I don’t think everyone could pull them off,” Whitaker said about long-distance relationships. “The trust thing, which is big in any relationship, would be a stumbling block for a lot of people.”