Football: Catching up with Eric Weddle

By Cody Brunner

A year-and-a-half ago, he was picking off passes from the likes of San Diego State and Wyoming. Now, former Ute Eric Weddle is going up against future Hall of Famers such as Tom Brady and Brett Favre on a weekly basis.

The big names and level of competition hasn’t fazed the playmaker, though.

“Every week there are new challenges and new people that you get to go against that you’ve been watching on TV the last few years,” Weddle said. “I think I’ve trained myself not to look into that stuff too much, because I think if I did, it would hinder my play and I would probably mess up.”

In just his rookie season, Weddle proved to be a viable asset to the San Diego Chargers, recording 54 tackles, one sack and two interceptions despite receiving limited playing time.

One of his interceptions came at the crucial point in the AFC divisional playoffs. With the Colts threatening to score late in the third quarter, Weddle came up with a fluke, one-handed grab despite being fully occupied by an Indianapolis lineman. The pick got the ball back into Charger hands and they eventually went on to beat the Colts by four points.

“They ran a similar play earlier in the game against us, and (Indianapolis quarterback Peyton) Manning was talking to his running back, so I knew it was coming,” Weddle said. “I saw the ball thrown and kind of nudged off the blocker a little bit and got one arm free and was able to make a play.”

The Chargers ended up losing in the AFC championship to the undefeated New England Patriots, but considering that the team started the season 1-3, it wasn’t too dismal of a conclusion.

San Diego is often described as the most athletic top-to-bottom team in the NFL, and with good reason.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie led the NFL in interceptions. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson had the most rushing yards. Linebacker Shawne Merriman is one of the most feared players in the NFL and finished last season with 12.5 sacks. Weddle says that he is often left awestruck by the athletic prowess he sees on a daily basis.

“They do some crazy things in practice, pulling in one-handed catches like it’s nothing,” Weddle said. “To be around them and to learn from them is an amazing experience, and now I can grow and hopefully be a starter next year in that group.”

Weddle was second on the team’s depth chart at strong safety to Clinton Hart last season but played in many of the Charger’s nickel and dime packages. He is expected to compete for the starting position next season.

Weddle recently got the opportunity to revisit his glory days at the U when Utah took on Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego. The former All-American hung out with the team throughout the week and was on the sidelines when the Utes racked up their seventh consecutive bowl win.

“That was the highlight of my year right there, just being around those guys for the bowl game,” Weddle said. “It was a lot of fun just being there for them. It’s a special time for those seniors.”

Speaking of those seniors, Weddle has been keeping in close contact with many of them. Having already been through the stressful combines and workouts that follow the senior year of college for some football players, Weddle has been trying to ease the process for the NFL hopefuls at the U.

“There are so many things that are running through your head, like where you’re going to live or who you’re going to play for,” Weddle said. “I just tell them to be patient and do as much as they can now to ready themselves. Those guys have the ability. (Steve) Tate, Martail (Burnett), Gabe Long, I think most of those guys have the talent to get picked up by a team and make an impact.”

Weddle is a good example for Utes trying to make it in the pros, having already made an impact for the Chargers. But don’t think for a second that the former Ute is just content with what he’s accomplished so far.

“Expect more plays to be made next year,” Weddle said. “Hopefully, I’ll be out there more often. I’ll be a year wiser and a year more comfortable in the league. I expect a lot out of myself and I expect big things in the ’08-’09 season.”

Former Ute Eric Weddle shone bright for the San Diego Chargers in his rookie season.