Ute Briefs (2/15)

U softball team looks to defend undefeated record

The Utah softball team will put its perfect 5-0 record to the test this weekend as it heads to Arizona for the Kajikawa Classic.

Headlining the competition in the desert this weekend will be No. 25 Oregon State, Western Michigan, Texas Tech and Notre Dame.

The Utes got their best start since 1985 by notching convincing wins over Wisconsin, Rhode Island, Southern Utah, Idaho State and Northern Colorado at the Red Desert Classic in St. George, Utah, last weekend.

Ashley Smuda, a sophomore transfer from Temple University, was the main reason for the Utes’ success. Smuda tallied a 3-0 record on the weekend while appearing in all five games and recording 23 strikeouts.

Kristie Keller provided plenty of power on the offensive side, going 7-for-13, with seven runs scored and three doubles in the five games. Angie Boardman pitched in as well, producing the game-winning hit against Wisconsin and going 6-for-13, with three doubles and four RBIs on the weekend.

The Kajikawa Classic begins for the Utes today at 10 a.m. against Notre Dame and finishes Sunday when the Utes take on Oregon State at 11 a.m.

Cody Brunner

Track and field splits team for competitions in Arizona and Iowa

With two meets this weekend, the Utah women’s track team will split up its players so the U can be represented in both meets.

The throwers will head to Flagstaff, Ariz., where they will compete in the Northern Arizona Invitational. The rest of the team is going to Ames, Iowa, for the Iowa State Classic.

After a personal best performance in the weight throw last week, the throwers will look to Josefin Berg to lead the team against tough competition.

Ashley Patterson and Haley McAllister have been the top performers for the U on the track side of things and will lead the rest of the team against national competition in Iowa.

Both events are scheduled to begin today and end tomorrow.

James Boehly

Women’s tennis team faces tough Cougars squad

After a split against last week’s competition, the Utah women’s tennis team is back in action tonight as they head to Pullman, Wash., to face Washington State.

The Utes (4-2) are nationally ranked at No. 67 and will face a hot Cougars team that is 5-1 and ranked No. 43.

Last year, the two teams played in Salt Lake City and the Cougars escaped with the win in a close match. A win at Washington would not only mean payback, but would also lead to an even higher ranking for the team.

If the Lady Utes want to get the upset, Elizabeth Ferris will need to play well against Cougar ace Ekaterina Burduli.

The match will start at 6 p.m.

James Boehly